Sky high honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All our honey is Raw....
We undervalue our product so good for him if he can get folk to buy it.
Some of the nomenclature is a bit iffy....Oak honey (also called honeydew)

What is Trading standards view on the label claiming antibacterial benefits? Surely that's not a standard label claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is Trading standards view on the label claiming antibacterial benefits? Surely that's not a standard label claim?

Most raw honey is antibacterial so he is not making any claims that cannot be substantiated. Some Welsh honey has been shown to be as antibacterial as the "best" Manuka honey from New Zealand.

I'm really pleased that this guy is making a living by selling good quality honey at good prices - it's just a pity that everything I saw in his catalogue was imported. The honey is well marketed and nicely presented - just what every beekeeper should aspire to. I only harvested 50lb last year but I'm selling it retail @ £5 for a 240gm jar or £4 homesale via a local shop. I've taken trouble over the label and have targeted a particular type of local purchaser.

CVB

P.S. Just found that they sell a borage and wildflower honey from Rachel on the edge of the Cotswolds - 1 lb for £8.99. At that price, I'd be inclined to fill the jar so as not to view the top surface of the honey!

Last edited:
Most raw honey is antibacterial so he is not making any claims that cannot be substantiated. Some Welsh honey has been shown to be as antibacterial as the "best" Manuka honey from New Zealand.

I'm really pleased that this guy is making a living by selling good quality honey at good prices - it's just a pity that everything I saw in his catalogue was imported. The honey is well marketed and nicely presented - just what every beekeeper should aspire to. I only harvested 50lb last year but I'm selling it retail @ £5 for a 240gm jar or £4 homesale via a local shop. I've taken trouble over the label and have targeted a particular type of local purchaser.

CVB

P.S. Just found that they sell a borage and wildflower honey from Rachel on the edge of the Cotswolds - 1 lb for £8.99. At that price, I'd be inclined to fill the jar so as not to view the top surface of the honey!

There is also data out there that suggests that Manuka honey is no better than some other honeys and that it is a bit of marketing guff. If you have an issue that needs antibacterials a trip to the doctor is a far better idea than reaching for your jar of honey. Irradiated and therefore sterile honey has a place in infected contaminated wound dressings but otherwise it is just sugar.

There is also data out there that suggests that Manuka honey is no better than some other honeys and that it is a bit of marketing guff. If you have an issue that needs antibacterials a trip to the doctor is a far better idea than reaching for your jar of honey. Irradiated and therefore sterile honey has a place in infected contaminated wound dressings but otherwise it is just sugar.

Manuka honey is better than most honeys as an antibacterial, used topically. Unfortunately it tastes like germolene but some people apparently still insist on eating it. Kiwi beekeepers are getting amazing prices for the product that they've taken the trouble to market in such a way as to maximise their margins.
All I'm saying is that's what UK beekeepers should do.

CVB

Pro

That selling claim is forbidden in EU

But why honey should kill bacteria in you gut? IT makes you only fart when your own microbes are destroyed. And honey has hundreds of living microbes.

Last edited:
nomenclature..:spy:

For "nomenclature", read "naming". Having said that, Dani may be wrong because my oak trees have small flowers on them but I've not seen a honeybee feeding there but maybe in some parts of Europe, oak flowers are a crop for bees rather than the honeydew.

CVB

That selling claim is forbidden in EU

But why honey should kill bacteria in you gut? IT makes you only fart when your own microbes are destroyed. And honey has hundreds of living microbes.

Exactly I won't be joining the Quacks on principle. Even if it doubles the profit margin.

Manuka honey is better than most honeys as an antibacterial, used topically. Unfortunately it tastes like germolene but some people apparently still insist on eating it. Kiwi beekeepers are getting amazing prices for the product that they've taken the trouble to market in such a way as to maximise their margins.

All I'm saying is that's what UK beekeepers should do.

CVB

I have pointed out before that tonne used as a wound dressing you have to irradiate it so buying expensive honey to cure all ills is a waste of time unless you have a linear accelerator in the garden shed. Medical grade irradiated Manuka is £7 for a 15g tube.

Looks like the only thing they left off the labels is 'artisan produced' :D

I struggle to sell my at £4.50 per 1lb jar. I've wanted to put up to £5 but don't want to lose regular customers.

Back