Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

crazy_bull 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Now thats got your attention:

I have finally caught one in the act!!!!

I have an exceptionally vigorous colony that has eggs and brood coming out of all corners, they are a double brood but typical woman, not content with what she has (Tin hat firmly on:hurray:) had some how been getting into the supers, last time i thought she must has been on the excluder and simply transfered up into the supers by accident.

However today i look and 2 brood boxes plus 1 super are ramed full of eggs and there she was! Skinny as you like and one of the longest queens i've seen.

I picked her up and put her on the punched queen excluder and she went straight through, so tried a plastic and wire excluder in seperate experiments and with both she walked through as if they weren't there!

Not really alot i can do with her really as she is so prolific but i'll just have to be careful where she is when i take the honey off!

Below are 2 pics of her appologies for the quality they were on my phone camera:

Busy Bee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I see she is not marked or clipped, you could do what Finman does by putting on 3 broods and then supers, no QX at all he says you don't need it. Refer to Finman if you need more info, I think there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Busy Bee

Last edited:

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
She isnt slimming down ready to swarm is she?

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
She could be Steve,but a slimmed down queen still has the same size thorax so would not be able to get through a queen excluder.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Absolutely no excuse for the eggs not being placed in the bottoms of the cells!!

Regards, RAB

BillyGoat 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Very interesting CrazyBull.
I had a similar experience recently with eggs being laid both sides of the QE and the thoughts of the experienced members was that I might have two queens or it could be a dodgy QE. I have disproved the first option so have just bought a new QE.
I will have to catch my Q and try the same experiment.
Great Pics
Billy

Latest posts