Silicone candle mould

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I bought 2 moulds to add to the collection and for the first time my silicone mould isn't split. How do I take the candle out if I cannot peel it open as usual? The smaller is a round ball, so has a bit of a roof, around the hole, and neither are turn insideoutable - so I am somewhat foxed...

I bought 2 moulds to add to the collection and for the first time my silicone mould isn't split. How do I take the candle out if I cannot peel it open as usual? The smaller is a round ball, so has a bit of a roof, around the hole, and neither are turn insideoutable - so I am somewhat foxed...
A candle could only come out if the sides are parallel or tapered. A ball doesn't sound like it could ever come out intact. Call the supplier (Th0rnes?) it may be an incompletely finished batch.

The silicone moulds are stretchy, but there are limits.
Asking the supplier would be better than asking the computer!

ITMA - I didn't ask the computer, I thought I would ask the friendly, helpful, nice people on here as having asked the supplier[/B]...The Mould**op...and receiving no answer, came here. THANKS Swarm and Alanf for your replies :) I have used this type before and this is the first time they have arrived uncut and wondered if anyone had met the prob too. Sorry if you think I shouldn't use the forum for this ITMA, but people on here have some wonderful skills and many are helpful as proven by Swarm and Alanf!!

Last edited:
Would it be possible to put a cut in the side a la like the style you already have. I know it might mean trashing the first ones but as you have the wax inside it will give something solid to cut against.

Just an idea.

That's really what I was asking, How can I cut thick, movable silicone and have a smooth, clean cut which will not show on the candle?

wont the silicone stretch enough to allow you to get the candle out?

One mightbut the other definitely will not - and they are usually split to make extraction simple and non damaging to the candle...otherwise I wouldn't spend the extra money they cost. Really annoyed that the company haven't contacted me :(

give them a phone call they will take more notice

One mightbut the other definitely will not - and they are usually split to make extraction simple and non damaging to the candle...otherwise I wouldn't spend the extra money they cost. Really annoyed that the company haven't contacted me :(
See what you mean on their website. They seem mostly for soap and flat backed so the problem doesn't arise. They do appear cheaper than Th0rnes for the equivalent amount of silicone.

I did think of making my own custom moulds so have thought about it. Although not actually got round to it yet. Critical bit is a clean line inside the mould, no tears or hacks. Not a saw then and a large knife might tear if you try it in one cut. Best I could imagine is cutting from the inside with a surgical scalpel. The cut would need deepening carefully, but any uneven surfaces would be deep in the block, not leaving marks on the candles. All the Th0rnes silicone moulds I've seen are simple cylinders so clamping them closed with multiple rubber bands is fairly easy. If this isn't a cylinder where the cut goes might need some thought too.

Btw, if the mould is already full of wax, I'd melt it out in an oven set on low heat.

Thanks Alanf I'll give it a go, as after calling the company 'WORLDOFMOU**S' they state that none of their silicone moulds have slits and that you manipulate the candle out. Quite how you get a round candle out of a mould with a hole smaller than the actual candle, and that has paintable detail on the outside, they could not explain. :(

Leaves room grumpily to go buy a scalpel ...grrrrrr

Quite how you get a round candle out of a mould with a hole smaller than the actual candle, and that has paintable detail on the outside, they could not explain. :(

I'd have thought this is the point in the thread where all the distaff side start banging on about childbirth :nopity:

Latest posts

Back