should the mouse guard be removed now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees seem to have survived their first winter with me :hurray: {so far so good} ;)
Is it ok to take the mouse guard off now?
They were out today and it was so nice to see them on the crocus and garden heather :)

Last edited:
Hi Rink.

I'm the very last person to be able to offer any advice, but seeing as its 1:28 a.m. and I can't sleep, I might as well respond.

The great RAB is always urging us newbies to THINK!

My two thoughts are:

1) I gather mice go into hives for warmth and food; are you sure they are beyond needing those things at this point?

2) what harm does it do to leave it on for a while?

(Now I wait to be put in my place by the Big Boys and Girls!)

D.

Officially we are still in Winter and mine are firmly in place. And there they will stay until the bees are flying freely and so the colony can defend it's self.

Patience.

PH

Hi Rink123

Lovely photos which show up the pollen colours really well.

My mouseguards will be firmly left in place until I am firmly convinced that there are enough bees in an alert state to combat the mice. Last year I removed some on the 2nd of April and some later than that. Removal is weather/location dependant but even so you should wait a while yet,

Cazza

When the bees have stopped clustering is the time for that.

Clustered bees allow mouse entry. Internal hive temperatures may affect this, as in different materials of construction and type of floor. Yesterday, there was no chance of a mouse entering, next week,there could be. No set date. It will still depend on how strong the colony is - a tiny, weakened colony may be clustered a long way from the entrance.

I noticed bees crawling around the bottom of frames (and on the floor) of polynucs late into the snow of December 2010. I was surprised to see bees active in the hive at that time. If they are active like that, any intruder will have a very high risk of being attacked.

By all means remove them now; just be prepared to refit them if required. Your choice.

Thank you all for the good advise, I will leave the guard in place :)

I am in a lucky position that my hives are mostly in my garden, and I have removed guards in the morning as so much pollen coming in and some knocked off by the guard- but if a cold night I whip guards back on in evening.

I removed a mouse from the insulation above my WBC- only drawback with them is they do have access up there, but I have nipped that in the bud as now put a super over the insulation and a QE on top of that- should keep it out.

I saw a lovely little mousie yesterday...sitting under my WBC watching the rain...Dog was not amused that he couldn't get at it! :)

I also removed my mouseguard when the recent "heatwave" hit at the weekend - primarily so the housekeeping bees could more easily remove dead bees.

I wonder how long it takes to remove 1 dead bee through a mouseguard hole?

Anyway, Im off for a week after the weekend so will refit it then.

I also removed my mouseguard when the recent "heatwave" hit at the weekend - primarily so the housekeeping bees could more easily remove dead bees.

I wonder how long it takes to remove 1 dead bee through a mouseguard hole?

That's the beauty of the under floor entrance - no need for mouse guards :D

well done to all those who keep putting guards on and off. Only once a year for me as I find it the worst job in the bee keeping year, veil and hands full of bees while kneeling down in front of a hive with other bees stinging me on back where shirt has rolled up.:(

Wow, you must have feisty bees!

I just put some fondant above the CB/feeder holes in case the weather turns cold next week and they need it - lots of pollen going in and I also noticed a robber going in.

So I have put my entrance block on now, with a 2" entrance.

How did you know it was a robber ? Was it wearing a mask ?:D
VM

well done to all those who keep putting guards on and off. Only once a year for me as I find it the worst job in the bee keeping year, veil and hands full of bees while kneeling down in front of a hive with other bees stinging me on back where shirt has rolled up.:(

Why not do it early or late in the day, or when its raining?

Latest posts

Back