should juniors be allowed to keep bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my little girl, she has been keeping bees 2 years and now has 3 colonies of her own. That is her showing she isn't worried about stings. She has collected 6 swarms now, 2 of them solo, one of them without a suit. This isn't being reckless, it was at her insistance, as she wants to be in tune with her bees. More than I do I must say. She makes all of the decisions about her colonies, which are on double brood and did well in pre-Winter build up. I think the future is bright if we have a pathway for good beekeepers. Did I forget to mention she is 10? Her Brother who is 8 has a colony but I help him with that one.

http://jonparkerlive.com/uncategorized/yes-that-is-a-little-girl-next-to-a-beehive/
http://jonparkerlive.com/beekeeping/my-two-youngsters-collecting-a-swarm/

Awesome. Nice to see life being lived regardless of the nanny state pedantry we're surrounded by

Totally agree - We have some excellent young beekeepers coming through who are extremely confident and competent and could show their elders a thing or two...

It was my privilege to organise the English team at this years IMYB event in Prague where they met up with other beekeeping teams sent from the national Beekeeping organisations all over Europe and beyond. All the English team had passed their Basic Assessments (one at 12) and two will probably take their General Husbandry and a few modules in 2013. OK, I'm biased as one was my daughter, but all were a credit to the country and came sixth against some incredibly well-organised competition (e.g. Poland selected their team of three from almost 3,500 applicants selected through regional and national heats!).

All the kids spent a day working inside the Czech national breeding apiary with over 100 hives and only a few chose veils as they had long hair. Everyone was in shorts and tee-shirts all day inspecting hives and answering questions and there was not a single sting amongst them... Just shows what can be done with a decent breeding program and competent beekeepers.

New Bee - Keep yours keen and I've no doubt we will see them representing England at Beekeeping in a couple of years - How many old f**ts can put that on their CV's....???

>>>>>>>>>>
However I also think that it's unfair for parents or adults in general to allow children or young adults to dig themselves into too deep a hole. So if you get flu, exam stress, swarming and EFB all at the same time I don't think it's OK for us to say "just deal with it" - we ought to be ready and prepared to help out any way we can. >>>>>>>>>>

Isn't this true of helping anyone, child or adult, we all have times when the whole world seems to be conspiring against us? :) Just swap "exam stress" for "work stress", or "family stress" ........ or anything else you can think of!

>>>>>>>>>>
However I also think that it's unfair for parents or adults in general to allow children or young adults to dig themselves into too deep a hole. So if you get flu, exam stress, swarming and EFB all at the same time I don't think it's OK for us to say "just deal with it" - we ought to be ready and prepared to help out any way we can. >>>>>>>>>>

Isn't this true of helping anyone, child or adult, we all have times when the whole world seems to be conspiring against us? :) Just swap "exam stress" for "work stress", or "family stress" ........ or anything else you can think of!

:iagree: The difference is as an adult you will be held to account. There are no excuses. Many adults abandon hives and wreck havoc too, but if the person is under 17 the parents are responsible.

Last edited:
WBC had sliders in up side down and didn't seem occupied to me ?I know they were open but on the day the pic was taken I would have expected a little activity .
Back to the real question.
I don't think kids should be burdened with responsibility of hive welfare , too many thing can go wrong . Hives are heavy whilst children are small ! Your 2 brood system will be out of the reach(given a couple of supers) of the children in your pictures .
Comparing the Prague bee work shop with bees in this country gives false security to any youngsters and indeed parents reading this thread . Remember the bees in question have been bred for docility over many many generations , even so one shouldn't be encouraging children to take liberties with any colony no matter how docile . Things go wrong , a child can be over come by the weight of a hive during manipulations , drop it or it's contents and be in real difficulties extremely quickly !
By all means encourage youngsters into the craft , teach by example , assist them in any way necessary but leaving them to it just because they seem to be on top of things is dangerously stupid ! IMHO !
VM

The sliders are reversible perfectly ok that way round until single beeways are required.and it is very much occupied. It is our garden colony. My daughter makes the decisions and I do the lifting. It works great and she inspects the box if I get it down or she cracks them open and checks the bottoms of the frames if that is what is needed. So far I cannot fault her logic on any of the calls she has made. She will be a great beekeeper. Better than some already by the sounds of things.

She will be a great bee keeper. Better than some already by the sounds of things.

WE ALL THINK OUR KIDS ARE 'THE BEES KNEES' (PUN INTENDED)
'Better than some already by the sound of things'
Sounds like a cheap shot to me ?
Bragging rights to one side , my points are still valid ?
VM

You are soooo sensitive today! Don't take an allergy test! lol

By the sound of things , not all the comedians are on the stage !
VM

I'm really impressed by jp19's and simoncav's kids, and I also admire the way that their parents are supporting them and encouraging them to make decisions for themselves.

However, they don't really support the argument that children should be allowed to do beekeeping completely solo. Rather the opposite - I think they show that the best thing is to have a parent or adult helper who is interested and engaged enough to hang around beekeeping forums! I hope I'll be ready to give my kids that much support, even if their passion in life turns out to be something that I wouldn't otherwise have much time for.

No, it is a good thing that resposible children keep bees, as long as the welfare of the bees doesn't suffer. In the long term it ensures a throughput of experienced beekeepers who didn't have to learn in their late 40s. It has also helped my little girl in her outlook, her risk management and her confidence. Everyone wins. At the interview for her new school the headmistress was impressed that a 10 year old was a beekeeper and could talk freely about such a complex subject for over 10 minutes. To have such a craft as an interest is amazing and will give her fond memories of her childhood.

I agree with Travelator entirely. A responsible adult acting as pinball flippers for a well intentioned and well taught child is the perfect solution for our craft and the bees. Everyone wins!

I have less issues with the younger beekeepers than the older ones (on probably all counts). In fact their enthusiasm should be encouraged. I went to a meeting at a school this year where older beekeepers were trying to stop a young beekeepers club, ther reasons were complete rubbish and based in no facts at all so I stamped on that quickly :facts:. Let us encourage the yonger generation, there are far too many oldies in this game as it is. Encouragement will different for everyone just like mentoring so we need to asses each situation individually and help accordingly.

I have less issues with the younger beekeepers than the older ones (on probably all counts). In fact their enthusiasm should be encouraged. I went to a meeting at a school this year where older beekeepers were trying to stop a young beekeepers club, ther reasons were complete rubbish and based in no facts at all so I stamped on that quickly :facts:. Let us encourage the yonger generation, there are far too many oldies in this game as it is. Encouragement will different for everyone just like mentoring so we need to asses each situation individually and help accordingly.

Hi the Rhodes,
No one should be encouraged to take up beekeeping. The motivation to become a beekeeper should come from the individual. As far as I am concerned the issue debated was the insurance aspects for a non-adult. However, the folly of youth and waning enthusiasm springs to mind. As do over 50's who have been on a course and taken very little in. One brain not fully developed and one degenerating (I am including myself in this category).
There are of course exceptions. Maybe, 'your bees are swarming' would be a good way of getting ones offspring out of bed at 1400 hrs on a Sunday after a night out?

Why do do people feel they have to attack maturity in order to promote the immature?
Remember the mature have already passed the trial by fire!
I have 16 descendants both male and female. My grand children passed through various phases , passions . Etc . My daughters three daughters were heavily into tai quando (well something like that),as they
Matured, they all drifted off to their own individual pastimes. None of them maintained contact with the afore mentioned sport!. I feel children show enthusiasm often in the field in which their parents have a passion already. Maybe a built in survival strategy? I am from a military back ground , my second son joined the army cadets (all good stuff), his CO told me 16/17 were the 'danger ages' as this was the time boys discovered GIRLS . His deduction came to be proved true. Ian had got his Duke of Edinburgh bronze award and was well into his silver when he packed it all in .
Make sure you encourage children but be prepared to have the disappointment of them growing out of what to you is a life long passion. Often these youngsters prove exceptional but drop it like a hat when the next challenge presents it'self.
VM

Latest posts

Back