Tom Seeley new book

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Prof Tom Seeley earlier in the week giving a few highlights from his new book to be published in April.
This wasn't recorded to avoid content being released before the book. I thought the presentation was very interesting and accessible, and I will be buying the book when it comes out.
From what was discussed, would it change how i keep bees? probably not, but I'll await for the rest of the insights in the book. The discussions into bee biology and behavior were fascinating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piping-Hot...8e-4420-9241-5d070aea465c&ref_=aufs_ap_sc_dsk
will be available at Northern Bee Books amongst other outlets as well

I’m intrigued by the book, not the best title, but how much!

Title is truly awful and could mislead: entertaining lightweight chat or credible analysis?
I think the 'credible analysis' has been covered by the earlier more technical publication. This looks like an all encompasing precis type describing 'the journey' his work has made and more geared to the shorter attention span of the average 'master' beekeeper

I think the 'credible analysis' has been covered by the earlier more technical publication. This looks like an all encompasing precis type describing 'the journey' his work has made and more geared to the shorter attention span of the average 'master' beekeeper
I remember chatting with Tom during the UBKA convention just before covid and he noticed I had bought one of his earlier publications 'Honeybee Ecology' and his words went something like 'dear God you've really picked up something hard to manage there, I look back on this and shudder as to how technical, plodding and scholarly it now reads'
Maybe he is conscious of the fact some people want to be entertained as well as informed and has made a conscious effort at 'dumbing down'?

I remember chatting with Tom during the UBKA convention just before covid and he noticed I had bought one of his earlier publications 'Honeybee Ecology' and his words went something like 'dear God you've really picked up something hard to manage there, I look back on this and shudder as to how technical, plodding and scholarly it now reads'
Maybe he is conscious of the fact some people want to be entertained as well as informed and has made a conscious effort at 'dumbing down'?
Yes, spot on. He mentioned something along the line of he was trying to make the theory more accessible to all rather than just those who would have waded through his more technical books

Latest posts

Back