Shocking quality retail honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
I was in a shop in Arundel today and was shocked to see some really poor quality honey products on the shelves.

One the label was lots a squiggly lines with the name of the honey in the middle, no weight, best before date or lot no., no contact details and the honey had don the half crystallised half runny issue.

there was also a "local" heather honey which had crystallised, I didn't know heather set.

Heather will set, as for the rest, yes it's pretty poor - the 'save the bees' set think they are doing people a favour by selling their product - surprised it wasn't in recycled jam jars

Report it to the weights and measures, it gives us all a bad name. Or talk to the shop owner, suggest that it is illegal and he may be prosecuted and that he shouldn't sell it until the producer provides the proper packaging. It is in his/her interests
E

I agree. A simple, well designed label adds a few cents or pence to the price of your honey however it sets you apart from the poorly labelled ones. Complain about badly labelled honey to whoever regulates labelling in you area. Make them comply or go away.

I have pointed this out to shops several times including the butcher I do a lot of other business with and he/they shrugged it off as not his problem.

PH

I was in *insert the name of almost any town* today and was shocked to see some really poor quality honey products on the shelves.

I've been appalled by the quality and presentation of some 'local' honeys. In some cases the labelling is hopelessly inaccurate.

The worst were 'Oil Seed Rape' honey that was runny and quite dark, some very light-coloured set 'Heather' and, of course, the stuff that might or might not end up crystallised.

I've seen some really duff stuff.
I buy a jar and send it to trading standards
Why should we all work really hard to produce a fantastic product for rubbish like this to undervalue all that hard work.

I have pointed this out to shops several times including the butcher I do a lot of other business with and he/they shrugged it off as not his problem.
PH

That bit I would definitely include when reporting to Trading Standards...

Just not on when people think they can get away with not complying with the standards we all have to maintain.

Latest posts

Back