SHB arrives in France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evidence ?

There is plenty of evidence. But do understand that does not mean the matter is going to raised again for entertainment. There are reasons why at present, matters are best left to rest. Thank you for your interest.

There is plenty of evidence. But do understand that does not mean the matter is going to raised again for entertainment. There are reasons why at present, matters are best left to rest. Thank you for your interest.

If matters are best left to rest, then perhaps you should have desisted from unsubstantiated tittle-tattle in the first place.

I remember you posting about your association buying in queens from Colonsay? That would fit in nicely with your description, bringing varroa free stock into contact with them, very clever that.

Perfectly fine as long as they're treated. It's not as though he's introducing varroa to Colonsay.

If matters are best left to rest, then perhaps you should have desisted from unsubstantiated tittle-tattle in the first place.

Young Man, I have noticed your provocative attitude many times, not that it matters very much. You are a newcomer to beekeeping, why not try being less hostile and aggressive and people may not notice your obvious feelings of inadequacy and your religious and political bigotry. Life is too short...enjoy the sunshine.

Perfectly fine as long as they're treated. It's not as though he's introducing varroa to Colonsay.

It would be interesting to see how many of these showed any sort of resistance to varroa or, if like the native Americans who succumbed to smallpox, they'd have no defence at all

It would be interesting to see how many of these showed any sort of resistance to varroa or, if like the native Americans who succumbed to smallpox, they'd have no defence at all

I expect they'd need to be treated with kid gloves. I'd have assumed a lower treatment threshold than were used to , just to give them a fighting chance.

Young Man, I have noticed your provocative attitude many times, not that it matters very much. You are a newcomer to beekeeping, why not try being less hostile and aggressive and people may not notice your obvious feelings of inadequacy and your religious and political bigotry. Life is too short...enjoy the sunshine.

:icon_204-2:

I expect they'd need to be treated with kid gloves. I'd have assumed a lower treatment threshold than were used to , just to give them a fighting chance.

I'd expect so, but, it would be interesting to hear from people who have them to see if these expectations are born out.

Well they were 1 year old queens. Survived winter but high varroa loads.. Much higher than Association Apiary averages. Treated as other bees - Apiguard plus winter OA .. They were not particularly good tempered nor did their honey yields excite so shunted off into a member's out apiary..

I thought that the hype around Colonsay bees would mean they would have some outstanding qualities.. as far as I could see, their high varroa loads were the only outstanding property.

( I am trying to be diplomatic)

Well they were 1 year old queens. Survived winter but high varroa loads.. Much higher than Association Apiary averages. Treated as other bees - Apiguard plus winter OA .. They were not particularly good tempered nor did their honey yields excite so shunted off into a member's out apiary..

I thought that the hype around Colonsay bees would mean they would have some outstanding qualities.. as far as I could see, their high varroa loads were the only outstanding property.

( I am trying to be diplomatic)

How many colonies did you have? Do you know if they were descended from the same mother?

I thought that the hype around Colonsay bees would mean they would have some outstanding qualities.
Total number of hives on Colonsay and Oronsay is around the 50 mark. I think the brood pattern might be quite instructive as to degree of inbreeding. Unless they are importing fresh genetic material (drone sperm) from somewhere else that have pureish amm's.

Total number of hives on Colonsay and Oronsay is around the 50 mark. I think the brood pattern might be quite instructive as to degree of inbreeding. Unless they are importing fresh genetic material (drone sperm) from somewhere else that have pureish amm's.

Cornwall, perhaps? ;-)

Fatshark may be able to shed some light on this, the research was into viruses of bees with varroa and bees that have never had varroa, each year over about five years of research bees from Colonsay were used at Warwick university, we used to manufacture and send the required nuc boxes direct to Andrew on Colonsay each year over this period to put his bees in, hives were sent direct to the uni.

Fatshark may be able to shed some light on this, the research was into viruses of bees with varroa and bees that have never had varroa, each year over about five years of research bees from Colonsay were used at Warwick university, we used to manufacture and send the required nuc boxes direct to Andrew on Colonsay each year over this period to put his bees in, hives were sent direct to the uni.

Thanks HM.
Feel free to PM me if you prefer Fatshark

How many colonies did you have? Do you know if they were descended from the same mother?

Four.
No idea.

Irish bees were sent to Colonsay at some stage.

Well, I'm not really surprised. There would have to be new genetic material brought in from somewhere. The 50, or so, colonies previously mentioned doesn't really constitute a viable population and inbreeding would have occurred long ago without it.
I think most people believe they are from a stable population on Colonsay. I wonder how Irish they are.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike
As far as you recall, did they all have similar levels of varroa infestation?

Yes,Paul.. significantly high drops ..|Hence the decision to move them to an out apiary to prevent their drones breeding with open mated queens..

Back