Sharing of apiaries - good or not good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with all the above, especially point 1, but would add another,

7. Sometimes it is nice just to sit down in the Apiary and have a chat.

if you share, you need to agree the timing of Varroa treatment dates to coincide and also use similar methods of control

our association apiaries have an agreed protocole, on woodpeckers protection, varroa, nosema, wax moth , wasp traps, etc

if one hive gets nosema, they treat the lot on the site

I Kept bees for over 50yrs up to 30 hives sold up 10 years ago after losing my wife and getting despondent worst thing I ever did . An old craftsman once told me learn all you can while you are young it is no weight to carry , well a young man I know kept asking questions and picking my brain he was really enthusiastic to learn about bees and I remembered what my old friend told me. so in June I bought 2 second hand hives gave him one I had the other myself got an out apiary a couple of swarms bought some queens I have 6 hives he has 2 The pleasureI get from seeing him with his bees you cannot buy when it comes to lifting 4 hands are better than2and when I leave this mortal placeI know i have left a replacement

I Kept bees for over 50yrs up to 30 hives sold up 10 years ago after losing my wife and getting despondent worst thing I ever did . An old craftsman once told me learn all you can while you are young it is no weight to carry , well a young man I know kept asking questions and picking my brain he was really enthusiastic to learn about bees and I remembered what my old friend told me. so in June I bought 2 second hand hives gave him one I had the other myself got an out apiary a couple of swarms bought some queens I have 6 hives he has 2 The pleasureI get from seeing him with his bees you cannot buy when it comes to lifting 4 hands are better than2and when I leave this mortal placeI know i have left a replacement

Dats really nice

sharing apiaries

kept my bees in bee house at bottom of garden for 5 years no problem.wife got stung,had verry severe reaction,bees had to be moved,quickly.friend arrived next day at 6 am,to move bees,have shared 2 out apiaries since.remember when working on an isolated site anything can happen,from a health and safety point of view sharing sites is highly reccomended a lot of us may be just 1 sting awway from a nasty reaction

i kept bees for over 50yrs up to 30 hives sold up 10 years ago after losing my wife and getting despondent worst thing i ever did . An old craftsman once told me learn all you can while you are young it is no weight to carry , well a young man i know kept asking questions and picking my brain he was really enthusiastic to learn about bees and i remembered what my old friend told me. So in june i bought 2 second hand hives gave him one i had the other myself got an out apiary a couple of swarms bought some queens i have 6 hives he has 2 the pleasurei get from seeing him with his bees you cannot buy when it comes to lifting 4 hands are better than2and when i leave this mortal placei know i have left a replacement

[standing ovation]

Such a great attitude, one that only seems to come with maturity and experience, if I could leave a similar legacy with my kids or another young person I would die a happy man.

I have to say that I agree whole heartedly with Taylan. There is obviously a high degree of cooperation between him and his protoge.

Take a bow sir. :svengo:

What about diesease contol & spread of disease etc. A new beekeeper is likely to be in a rush to get bees & will most likely take them from where ever they can sourse them so they are probably not tested etc before they come in.
The main issues of diseases in bees are not something you spend a lot of time talking about as a beginner but only learn as you further your education

Our association aipiary had an out break of Foul Brood this year & a hive had to be destroyed. I wouldn't be happy seeing something like that coming in if I could help it. The same tools are beng used inspecting every hive, beginners got nucs from the other hives, the spores from the foul brood could easily be in all those newly made up nucs

In a sharing situation there have to be agreements, tacit or otherwise, governing sourcing of bees, use of tools etc. Perhaps a pooling of tools for the apiary, kept in a bucket of washing soda solution on site etc.

Quite naturally there is a logical source of supply for nucs and co-operatitve queen rearing.

Last edited:
I plan to start this spring keeping bees and will be sharing the apiary with a friend who like me is a novice; I hope the benifits are as described, will let you know as the season progresses.

I plan to start this spring keeping bees and will be sharing the apiary with a friend who like me is a novice; I hope the benifits are as described, will let you know as the season progresses.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on David.
Its an amazing hobby

Hi David.cae Glas
I wish you every success with your new venture . I remember how I started I went to work on the farm when I left school at 15yrs and my old boss had been a beekeeper but gave up so he gave me my first hive if I got the bees I was so excited I went home at night and sent off to Lees of Uxbridge for an 8 frane colony it came I shall never forget the roar that came from the box when I took the lid off it frightend me to death if he had not been there to talk me through I think my beekeeping would have finished there and then instead of starting.Try and find a local experienced beekeeper talk to him show him you really are enthusiastic, most of the old beekeepers I know are only to pleased to help someone who is just starting and genuine

Latest posts

Back