Settling tank advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering what the Thomas settling tank at Thornes offers over the Thomas prinox from GwennynGruffydd. It seems like I can get the tank, sieves and a stand for considerably less than the one at Thornes.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

I guess they seem to be a cylinder made of steel and I can't determine what make a difference to what they achieve. One may have thicker steel, but at the end of the day I don't think that will make a difference in day to day use.

One advantage of the GG tank are the closure catches; note that GG state that the tank was 'manufactured according to our specifications'.

GG tank looks good value; where did you deduce the different thicknesses of stainless steel?

One advantage of the GG tank are the closure catches; note that GG state that the tank was 'manufactured according to our specifications'.

GG tank looks good value; where did you deduce the different thicknesses of stainless steel?
I couldn’t work out a reason for the huge difference in price :) I’ve noticed that extractors seem to vary in steel thickness. I haven’t been able to find any specs on these two products.

I was wondering what the Thomas settling tank at Thornes offers over the Thomas prinox from GwennynGruffydd. It seems like I can get the tank, sieves and a stand for considerably less than the one at Thornes.

I would say the big difference between the two is the sieves. I’m struggling to find any 415mm food grade stainless sieves on tinternet so would assume these could be an expensive item if the had to be made to order.

The price difference (even greater than it initially looks as the Thornes 100kg is actually just short of £800) is probably just a reflection of the different businesses. One thing for certain is that you won't go far wrong with a Thomas.

I'd advise, and this is purely personal preference, if buying the Thomas tank, pay the extra £30 or so to upgrade to the Thomas perfection tap. Just a much nicer movement when you get used to that kind of tap.

Last edited:
Back