Sentinel Pro II Beekeeping Suit - First thoughts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
Thought I'd do a first thoughts on my new suit, after my beekeeping buddy ordered one she was impressed so I thought I'd try it out.

I ordered the Sentinel Pro II from Old Castle Farm Hives on Tuesday night. I received a call from Ian the following morning to check the measurements; good thing he rang as I mistakenly clicked on the hat rather than the veil so the order was amended.

Arrived this morning so good dispatch times. Was a bit miffed at first as on opening the packaging I seen that disposable cloth that they use for disposable boiler suits but turned out that was only the back of the carry pouch.

68471376_338799140340294_5510479028298973184_n.jpg

I've owned a STBK cheap (£60) Breeze mesh suit for the last few years, the veil had ripped at the side last week and the groin was about to go so I've a mesh suit to compare it to. First thing I noticed is it's a lot lighter than the breeze suit which has a different construction style, its like a rubber/silicone waffle encased in a cloth mesh on either side. The SPII is a cloth mesh over a sponge type material.

There was a YKK tag attached to notify that it uses quality zips, which is promising as both the zips around the leg of the STBK had failed fairly quickly.

67896143_634355847055651_4249861300349304832_n.jpg

Putting the suit on was easy enough, its a bit snugger than the Breeze suit as I went for a better fitted size; the biggest benefit is that it's a lot more manoeuvrable than than the Breeze suit which almost snagged on itself. I was on the ground; something I never would have tried in the breeze suit as movement was so restricted.

I particularly like the double velcro fastening for the veil which is a big improvement on my last suit which only had it on the outer side. Another big positive is that the veil doesn't touch your face; I had to wear a cap in the Breeze as I have got stung on the nostril and chin in the breeze suit as I leant forward.

The big deep pockets are also useful; the last suit was poorly thought out in many ways but this suit allows you to slip a hive tool in your pocket without it tumbling out. The upper zip pockets are also a great place for the phone which always inevitably will ring when you're in the middle of going through a hive.

67623066_746841129125278_6064250786932588544_n.jpg

The weather was rather nice this evening, about 21°c with very little wind. I had a few jobs to do around the apiary so had it on for about two hours. Had I my old suit on I reckon I would have been a lot warmer, especially having to wear the cap underneath.

Despite the light breeze it kept me fairly cool.

67969361_470310457099301_3671085509133729792_n.jpg

My only reservations so far with the suit is the velcro fasteners around the sleeve. The sleeve is extremely wide so the strap to tighten it nearly overruns the end of the velcro. Elastic foot loops would have been nice as well, it helps get the suit down inside the wellington boots.

Price was £146 delivered; expensive but a bargain when compared to some other offerings. Looking forward to trying it out further however.

My only reservations so far with the suit is the velcro fasteners around the sleeve. The sleeve is extremely wide so the strap to tighten it nearly overruns the end of the velcro.

Thought the same with mine but it still has enough length to hold (for the first time ever I wore sleeves over the gloves so easier to get going.

I chose the hat as I prefer them to fencing style.

Very happy with it and whilst still no real comparison to the others available I think it was £150 well spent. :winner1st:

Thanks for the reviews, I'm still thinking of getting one.

Looks good, while I love my cotton suit from Bee Basic, I was sweating buckets a few times this summer doing checks...I could really do with something vented.

The heat's been getting to me, so I'm thinking that it may be time for a suit like this.
The Oz Armour is also on my radar. It there anyone out there who's tried, or, at least, tried on, both, and who can comment on the differences? It's a shame that Angry Mob and Millet live so far apart, or they could meet up for a morning's beekeeping wearing each other's suits.

The heat's been getting to me, so I'm thinking that it may be time for a suit like this.
The Oz Armour is also on my radar. It there anyone out there who's tried, or, at least, tried on, both, and who can comment on the differences? It's a shame that Angry Mob and Millet live so far apart, or they could meet up for a morning's beekeeping wearing each other's suits.

My mate is shorter than me so not tried his Sentinel for air flow comparison but looking at construction/material, I think the Oz Armour should be cooler. I've looked through the veil and the clarity wins over my Oz Armour. The suit is also lighter so I suppose it would be easier to get in and out of.

I know of one bee farmer who bought one this season, the veil has already disintegrated, When I meet up with them later next month I'll ask them what the outcome was.

Angry Mob - how is this suit performing? Still happy?

Holding up fine for me, sleeves are the weak point as the only sting I have received so far wearing it was helping a neighbour remove a wasp nest they blighter managed to get up it and sting me twice.

I got an oz armour jacket/veil a year or two ago and hate it. Hardly worn. I don't like that spongy material it's made from. If it's really hot I'd prefer just a veil & tee shirt/jeans.

https://ozarmour.co/collections/oz-...tilated-beekeeping-jacket-with-round-brim-hat

If anyone wants it PM me & you can have it for the price of postage, or come & collect for free :D

I'm pretty sure it's XL size, as is appropriate for a walrus

EDIT: PM received so hopefully I'll be rid of the thing soon!

EDIT2: On its way to somebody who will hopefully find some use for it...maybe polishing the car or something

Last edited:
Great little suit.

Got mine this year after a few bad reactions. Really breezy and no stings since. But so much more comfortable to work in than my buzz suit.

👌🏻

I have the full suit and love it. Zero stings so far, a clear veil and it keeps you cool.

What's the sizing like? I'm a UK 42, usually referred to as large. I thought the continental equivalent was 52, but on their site it's described as medium.

What's the sizing like? I'm a UK 42, usually referred to as large. I thought the continental equivalent was 52, but on their site it's described as medium.

The suits are bigger than the size would suggest. I also ordered Large and had to send it back for a Medium. It fits well and is quite long (tall). Go with what they suggest on the site.

Latest posts

Back