Selling Lip Balm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think you’re allowed 6 variants to a recipe e.g. 6 different ‘flavours’ of a recipe. Just not worth the expense and admin though, unless you can sell volume. Such a shame, can understand the reasoning though as someone somewhere will cut corners. I’ve made some lovely products and given them all away as gifts.
These look lovely! Who’s recipes did you use?

These look lovely! Who’s recipes did you use?
Thankyou. Quite a variety of sources. I have a book on essential oils by Neals Yard / Dorling Kindersley & they have some good recipes. I also followed one of two of Sarah Robbs in a BBKA series a couple of years ago. I don’t have access to them at the moment but if there’s anything in particular you’re interested in let me know & I’ll send when I can (probably in about a week or so)
Elaine

I think that you can sell it to friends and acquaintances. But suppose you want to enter the market. In that case, you need to legalize everything and go through many certifications and checks.
As soon as you 'sell' something, regardless of who you sell it to - you fall foul of the regulations covering cosmetics and skin preparations.

You may consider it low risk - a friend who succumbs to a serious allergy over something you 'sold' them may not be inclined to sue you but ... I've seen families, let alone friends, come to very acrimonious situations as a result of some minor event and you really don't know how people will react. We are not the litigious society that we see in the USA (yet) but I see more and more ambulance chasing lawyers advertising their 'no win no fee' services coming out of the woodwork in the UK ...

Do you really want to risk it for a few pounds of income ... give it away or give it up.

Just remembered another good book with good recipes is Beeswax Alchemy by Petra Ahnert. I’ve made her body butter bars, hand and body creams, v nice. Also covers the basics of candles, soap and various wax gift ideas.
Thanks 😊

Have a look at Cosmetic Formulations, Quick CPSRs & Custom CPSRs and contact Sara Robb, she has some recipes for sale which come with all the legislations needed, under her name, which you can use and sell. It sounds vague because I was only half listening to her telling someone this at the NHS, I’d decided that I wouldn’t be selling anything myself. She’s also got some good free recipes on that site.

I think that you can sell it to friends and acquaintances. They will definitely support you, but don't do too much. But suppose you want to enter the market. In that case, you need to legalize everything and go through many certifications and checks. Eco-products are now in great demand and popularity. Still, you cannot make and offer such things as eyeliner https://jonteblu.com/collections/eyebrow/products/jonteblu-automatic-eyebrow-pencil to the public. In addition, people usually tend to buy proven brands. It will be challenging to attract new customers without good advertising.
Until something goes horribly wrong .... and then you are in uncharted territory - with no supporting insurance cover ..... OK it might never happen but what you have to seriously consider is what is the risk if it does ..... and you can't get insurance cover for something that is, to all intents and purposes, in contravention of the regulations.

Please don't suggest such nonsense ... if you sell something you have to be prepared to face the consequences if something goes belly up. Regardless of who you sell it to ....

Here's another company (copied from the now closed CBD honey thread) that does testing and the page also lays out all the UK / EU requirements:

https://medicpro.london/cosmetic-safety-assessment-uk/
The page does imply that you need a part A and a part B test if you're selling into the EU market but only a part B is required for the UK market (I've no idea if post Brexit that applies to rest of the world sales too).

My friend who makes cosmetics said that each ingredient should already have a safety notice with it, which will speed up the verification process. So for instance if for some obscure reason you wanted to make your own Lye for soaps you'd have to get that independently tested, alternatively you just buy from a registered chemical dealer who can supply all the necessary safety certificates to you.

Slightly off topic. But when you guys make lip balm and add essential oils does the oil have to be edible

people usually tend to buy proven brands. It will be challenging to attract new customers without good advertising.
Wrong.

Easiest thing is to sell natural products with certfied production and without advertising directly to our type of customer.

Back