SBI vacancies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
10 up for grabs.

It would appear the seasonal option is now defunct and when not on beekeeping duties you'll be part of the plant inspection teams?

I hear from an ex SBI who is still friends with many that there is unrest amongst them, hence the mass exodus.

Ah that explains why so many have left, including my SBI.
I did wonder whether that was the trigger?

I considered it myself if I can't make commercial work but only on a PT basis, no way I'm working full time again if I can help it! 🤣

I got the impression that they were still allowing people to take up six month contracts to just do the bee inspecting bit, but it didn't appear to be encouraged.

I might have been half-tempted to apply, but aside from the fact that I don't really consider myself a good enough beekeeper, I'd probably fail the required medical and don't really have any knowedge of MS Office. Probably the knowledge and experience of horticultural practice bit (I assume now required because of the off-season work) would kill it for me, too.

James

It’s a tough job with a pittance of a salary. You have to be pretty dedicated to meet the targets set.
Last time my SBI inspected mine he was over 12 hours with me without his 11/2 travelling then he had to do the paperwork and wash and dry 8 beesuits!

It’s a tough job with a pittance of a salary. You have to be pretty dedicated to meet the targets set.
Last time my SBI inspected mine he was over 12 hours with me without his 11/2 travelling then he had to do the paperwork and wash and dry 8 beesuits!
That's the impression I got from the SBI who comes out to me.
Deliver groceries for £15 a day less with little stress, responsibility or commute. Keep 10 colonies for 500lb, there's pretty much the difference.

I will shout up in support of our local bee inspectors - David Burns & Chris Milton, very lucky to have & I wouldn’t like to lose them.

Like you i have an amazing one in Stewart Westsmith as a run an ESA so get three visits a year. I have to agree tough job and many beekeepers do not help a lot when they inspect so all day lifting hives, who needs a gym membership. If i do most of my hives in a day say taking honey off I am knackered imagine doing it day in day out.

Completely undervalued role and pay is no where near the level needed to get good candidates - and the whole organisation could learn a few things about treating people properly and stop being so woke and worrying about all the virtue signalling stuff too

I could say more but I’d break a confidence….

KR

S

I thought our CGF wanted a job with this outfit???? Now's your chance might have sway with the BFA

Latest posts

Back