Savage chickens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whilst I was picking peas earlier today I heard a sudden commotion from the chicken runs, so I strolled over to see what was up. It appears that a crow had perhaps decided to try to raid their food and they'd taken exception to it. It couldn't fly any more -- it's wing was broken by the looks of it -- and by the time I got there it was trying to run away whilst the chickens took it in turn to run up and jump on it. Even the ones in the next run were lining up against the fence trying to get in on the action. I had to shoot it in the end to put it out of it's misery. I've never seen them so aggressive. I hope they've calmed down a bit when I go to collect the eggs this evening...

James

My hens let anything in to eat their food. I once found a dead crow outside their run. Not a mark on it. I reckon Goshawk. I left it on the roof of the run in case it came back and it was gone next morning. Fox I expect.

We have a lot of buzzards around here, but I've never seen one of them try to take a crow. Waste not, want not though... I'll put it in the compost...

James

Whilst I was picking peas earlier today I heard a sudden commotion from the chicken runs, so I strolled over to see what was up. It appears that a crow had perhaps decided to try to raid their food and they'd taken exception to it. It couldn't fly any more -- it's wing was broken by the looks of it -- and by the time I got there it was trying to run away whilst the chickens took it in turn to run up and jump on it. Even the ones in the next run were lining up against the fence trying to get in on the action. I had to shoot it in the end to put it out of it's misery. I've never seen them so aggressive. I hope they've calmed down a bit when I go to collect the eggs this evening...

James
Let us know you're ok or we'll send a rescue crew if the chickens haven't picked your bones clean!

I set the fox trap a few times recently and left it blocking the small gap by the coop door. Three squirrels and five moorhens released over a couple of weeks. Or one squirrel and two moorhens caught multiple times. Turns out they'd been sneaking in and raiding the food bins, despite the pressure plate!

Crafty little blighters, squirrels. I'd eat them, but there's not really enough meat to warrant the effort.

James

Allegedly there is a restaurant (I have a vague feeling it might be in the New Forest) that has a squirrel dish on the menu, but they describe it as "flightless partridge" :D

James

That reminds me... When I got the strimmer out for the first time this year (it hangs horizontally from a couple of hooks on strings fixed to the roof of the garden shed) I discovered that a rodent, probably a squirrel I'm thinking, had eaten through the fuel tank. I've not been able to decide whether it just liked eating plastic or if it was after the two-stroke mix that was still inside.

James

That reminds me... When I got the strimmer out for the first time this year (it hangs horizontally from a couple of hooks on strings fixed to the roof of the garden shed) I discovered that a rodent, probably a squirrel I'm thinking, had eaten through the fuel tank. I've not been able to decide whether it just liked eating plastic or if it was after the two-stroke mix that was still inside.

James
Pie=Revenge!

I set the fox trap a few times recently and left it blocking the small gap by the coop door. Three squirrels and five moorhens released over a couple of weeks. Or one squirrel and two moorhens caught multiple times. Turns out they'd been sneaking in and raiding the food bins, despite the pressure plate!
Did you know that it's illegal to release a grey squirrel once you have caught it? You have to humanely destroy it - drowning is not allowed. It's classed as an invasive species. People have been prosecuted so just be aware.
https://www.britishredsquirrel.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Grey-Squirrel-Best-Practice.pdf

Did you know that it's illegal to release a grey squirrel once you have caught it? You have to humanely destroy it - drowning is not allowed. It's classed as an invasive species. People have been prosecuted so just be aware.

Yes. There was a long discussion here about it last year

Crafty little blighters, squirrels. I'd eat them, but there's not really enough meat to warrant the effort.

James
Not sure just how much of a trencher man you are but I find one squirrel per person is about right.
They really are tasty and I have had a lot in my time.

James
My daughter had a brief spell at a commercial chicken farm. No one was allowed to go into the sheds alone in case they had an accident or fainted as the chickens would try to eat them. Always worth remembering they're descended from dinosaurs. Google Image Result for https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/3d-velociraptor-picture-id480937229

RSPCA recommend putting the squirrel in a sack then bludgeoning it with a lo
I know...sounds a bit brutal. I prefer an air rifle - less hands on and no chance of being bitten. One shot seems to do the trick instantly. Not sure there is any nice way of killing something, but they have stripped most of the bark from one of my young oak trees so let the battle commence!

Latest posts

Back