Running in a queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Please could someone explain to me how this method of queen introduction works…

Does it just mean putting a queen directly onto a frame rather than in a cage? Is it just something you would do with virgins or can it be done with a mated queen too?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00218839.2008.11101469This will give you an idea of how it is done.
There was another paper citing queens being moved around, somewhere in the region of 200 times I believe. I've done it once with a laying queen without smoke and it was successful. Laying queen and not queen off lay due to being in a cage.

one thing is the acceptance and the other thing is the survivorship after introduction

less the bees will accept more chances of acceptance , bees pass into emergency Qless situation in first 24-36h so introduction need to be immediately and also bees ussually accept/reject un introduced Q in first 24 h(whatever introduced method) but that do no means that they may not supercedure her after , so

the introduced Q is better if she is on her 4th week(21-28 days old better pheromones,ovariole,spermatotheque.......) well mated non stopp laying and also if have close kinship relationship(half sisters - daugther) so as bees recognise her retinue pheromones and she is as good as pervious and healthy ,do no carry any diseases or has suffered an injury..

this year had a supercedure Q with her mother present(old enouf) and after while with 2 supercedure cells present plus the mother so that made me wonder for this daugter and decide test her, cut a nuc from another colony(good Q-half sisters) with emerging brood 1 store and 1 empty drawn comb and introduce her straight in that comb , bees accept her but supercedure after so was right wonder for her cause seems she was not mated well and was not as good as nuc bees previous Q

ussually i do this when want test Q or when want supercedure a nuc Q not mated well or lost in mate fly and do no ve any Qcell available for bigger colonies better follow safer methods (Qcell or 2 days cage? making em hopelessly Qless not emergency ?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back