Roof vents or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roof vents

• Do have and use roof vents in summer?

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • In winter?

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • No vents

Votes: 42 73.7%
  • Vents all the time

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters
Could it be that feed holes are horizontal? When bees build comb, they hang in a curtain vertically. I too have seen them propolise over gauze or mesh put over feed holes, but never a wide open hole. Could it be that the gauze gives them something to hang onto or at least a starter, and they simply have to fill in the gaps, as Dan suggests above. ??

My roofs are all filled with celotex, hence the vents are already blocked

Last edited:
i control the ventilation and install some form of insulation depending on the time of year, i dont like to see the inside of the hive sweating in the winter months, the condensation needs to be able to find its way out,-- nothing worse than being cold and damp, always have roof vents, winter i have a closed floor and reduced entrance

an empty super above the brood box with a block of candy covered with quilt works just great

I read an article recently that suggested that one of the bees biggest winter problems is lack of available water. Water being essential for diluting stores/fondant to a usable concentration.
Some think that it can be a limiting factor during very cold spells, so in this respect "some" condensation inside the hive may be beneficial to their being able to feed more easily. Of course their respiration generations a certain amount of water vapour which is thought to be conserved within the tight cluster for this very purpose.

I read an article recently that suggested that one of the bees biggest winter problems is lack of available water. Water being essential for diluting stores/fondant to a usable concentration.
Some think that it can be a limiting factor during very cold spells, so in this respect "some" condensation inside the hive may be beneficial to their being able to feed more easily. Of course their respiration generations a certain amount of water vapour which is thought to be conserved within the tight cluster for this very purpose.

im all for reading and research and making improvements and if i think it a good idea i will give it a trial,

i think the uk winter months are cold and damp enough without worrying if the bees are getting enough water to dilute their stores,even with the ventilation i provide ,there is usually some condensation present when i take a peek inside

im all for reading and research and making improvements and if i think it a good idea i will give it a trial,

i think the uk winter months are cold and damp enough without worrying if the bees are getting enough water to dilute their stores,
If they have sufficient water from our damp weather and condensation inside the hive then shirley they wouldn't need to collect even more of it?
If you have a water source you will see this water collection going on any day there is flying time from this time onward.

Last edited:
In winter, my bees need go no further than the landing boards for water.. been wet (or frozen) most mornings since Christmas...No signs of bees collecting water here - yet. Too cold for the first port of call - potting compost in pots or in garden.

Pond water collecting usually does not start till later in the year when brood rearing is in full swing and exterior temperatures are >12-15C

Mine have been out quite a lot this last few days, so brooding merrily, I expect. Yesterday there were several collecting from the lower stems of the artichokes.

Stil no top ventilation in the crownboard, but the roofs are dry because they are all vented. Another useless poll!

Latest posts

Back