Roof covers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
i AM LOOKING FOR A CHEAPER WAY TO COVER 5 BEE HIVE ROOFS. HAS ANYONE TRIED ALUMINIUM ROOF FLASHING. YOU CAN GET A 300MM X 10 METRE ROLL WHICH IS SELF ADHESIVE MADE BY EVO STICK FROM B & Q FOR £31.00. LOOKING ON THE WEBB BUYING THE TRADITIONAL GALVANISE METAL ROOF COVERS LOOKS EXPENSIVE WHEN YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT POSTAGE. tHERE ARE SOE POSTS ON BEESOURCE FROM BEEKEEPERS IN USA WHO HVE DONE THIS.

several threads on here about different coverings for roofs, usually recommendation is used printing plates.
by the way, typing in capitals on any forum is classed as 'SHOUTING' ;)

I know a couple of peopl who use roofing felt which works out very cheap.

An old landrover body panels are good (aluminium)
I never thought about a freezer, are they aluminium ?

Old landrover bodies are Birmabright plllease!:) I think the more 'modern' fridges are aluminium, the older ones are steel. Another good source would be a scrap caravan -loads of sheet aluminium there.
If you clamp a piece of 2x1 each side of the line where you want to bend the sheets and push the shorter edge against a flat surface you get a very professional sharp 90 degree angle - I've done it with galv sheets before.
Luckily one of my fishing club members works in a fabricating factory and is busily churning out five hive and six nuc roofs for me -not sure what it'll be yet - may even be stainless!but they have loads of coated roofing type sheet steel there which they throw away:a skipful last month! As long as the price of beer doesn't go mad I'm allright. The next plan is a solar wax extractor - even got some stainless sheet ready for it - all I needed was the bending kit!

... Luckily one of my fishing club members works in a fabricating factory and is busily churning out five hive and six nuc roofs for me -not sure what it'll be yet - may even be stainless!but they have loads of coated roofing type sheet steel there which they throw away:a skipful last month! ...

Don't know if this is orthodoxy or heresy, but my own observation is that a shiny roof confuses beginner bees ... I've seen orientation flights ending with an upside down crash onto a shiny roof. And if the roof is damp, they stick to it - game over.
I'd seen the dead bees, on their backs, on the roof and thought "that's odd", but until I saw a couple of crashes, I didn't make the connection with the nice new roof.
I think the reflection of the sky might be making novice flyers confused as to which way was up ... so a matt, poorly reflecting roof seems like a good thing.

Asking at a building site for scrap offcuts of "Tyvek" would be an inexpensive roofing solution. Its the modern replacement for under-tile roofing felt. Waterproof and yet water vapour permeable, its Goretex for buildings. Even exposed to daylight, it should last longer than (and work better than) old-style flat-roof or under-tile tarred felts.

Roofs often get used upside down on the ground for standing dissected hives on. I don't want to be using tearable coverings, or anything that may leak due to a 'puncture' on some thorns or similar.

RAB

Don't know if this is orthodoxy or heresy, but my own observation is that a shiny roof confuses beginner bees ... I've seen orientation flights ending with an upside down crash onto a shiny roof. And if the roof is damp, they stick to it - game over.
I'd seen the dead bees, on their backs, on the roof and thought "that's odd", but until I saw a couple of crashes, I didn't make the connection with the nice new roof.
I think the reflection of the sky might be making novice flyers confused as to which way was up ... so a matt, poorly reflecting roof seems like a good thing.
Two of my rooves are shiny aluminium and one galv - seen one or two bees crashing on to it but I haven't noticed any big problems

... if the roof is damp, they stick to it ...

There lies your problem - shiny and you get water droplets forming, if the water can spead by capillary action, the problem is much reduced. Added to that the reflective surface does not absorb the irradiation, so may remain relatively cool (so evaporation is slower). A lacquer spray and a hand full of dry, fine sand sprinkled over may be better for your shiny new aluminium roofs....trouble is aluminium doeasn't take surface coatings too well. Ah well, compromise, compromise. I will accept a few casualties - it's not that important really.

My hive roofs are stainless and aluminium and I just rubbed them with a bit of 500 grit wet & dry to take the shin of them

Aluminium doesn’t stay shiny for long.

Although it will still be silver it will go dull.

... trouble is aluminium doeasn't take surface coatings too well. .

You need etching primer before you paint aluminium unfortunatly its usually Grey. But coloured painted roofs could be quite jazzy.

I use caravan skinning alloy sheet. I have a friend who repairs caravans, so there is a good supply.
Worth a visit if you have such a business nearby.

My friendly neighborhood printing shop lets me have old A-zero or A-one aluminium litho plates. They can be cut using old scissors, and fold down to the roof dimensions quite nicely.

It's not necessary, but a jar of honey as a "thank you" makes things more amenable for next time.

Savoyard

Latest posts

Back