Requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all, in short I have 3 colonies all with plenty of bees and winter feed, however one is queenless with no eggs or brood at any stage.Due to work commitments I have been unable to inspect for over a month, there are no queen cells so I am assuming that the Queen has unfortunately died. My question is, is it too late to introduce a new queen? normally I would unite with another colony but as all 3 have lots of workers I didn't want to do this if my queenless hive can be saved. All 3 hives are on national brood box with a super above full of stores with no excluder. Any advice much appreciated
Thank you

Is that a frame from a queenright colony with eggs and brood at all stages

Yes eggs or young larvae is what you need. But more importantly is it worth the faff, probably a failed supersedure possibly even an old duff queen still wondering about.

I would phone around all of the queen suppliers, you may get lucky and find one with a spare but chances are probably zero.

Are there any drones still about if you did move a frame over? We are having a crazy end of season so maybe?

Wow, lots of suggestions from you all, thank you. I inspected on Friday last week, so will go back this Friday to check any progress

Replaced a drone laying queen with queen* from a wasp beaten unit the weekend but only to try and save the drone laying unit (and to see what happens) rather than simply lose both. They were also downsized into a poly nuc to give them a better chance.

Last year I threw 3 hives together that all looked Q- (early October) and left them to it, turned out well!.

I'd go with Swarms advice (likely have a queen lurking)

*direct swop using icing sugar (frame with remaining bees/queen from beaten unit dropped into drone Queen unit)

Last edited:
I had 4 out of 9 hives in one apiary being hammered by wasps. I went in today and found all 4 had no eggs or sign if any brood and were getting weaker. I combined them to make 2 larger colonies and will add a q+ nuc to them when we have some decent temps again.

No but you will if they start to create QCs?
No you don't
It's a TEST frame. Not a new queen making frame. You use it to see if there is a queen. If they make queen cells you know there is no queen so you remove the QCs and requeen with a mated queen

No you don't
It's a TEST frame. Not a new queen making frame. You use it to see if there is a queen. If they make queen cells you know there is no queen so you remove the QCs and requeen with a mated queen
Sorry to disagree vehemently, but IMHO any venture with a test frame at this time of year is a fool's errand. Even if the OP has ready access to a mated queen (unlikely), the balance of probability is that that goes t*ts p ... more than likely as on the other side of the same balance of probability is the fact that this colony has a off-lay Queen. Meddling going into November is unlikely to end well. Leave it shut (I assume fed and treated) and hope for a pleasant surprise.... That's my opinion.

As Swarm, if you do look in they may be in a broodless period and have mainly stores. The queen could be elusive and by fiddling now you might kill her if she is in there.
I agree. Even if other nearby colonies have eggs/brood, it does not always/necessarily mean that the broodless one is queenless.

Back