replacing fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

I followed someone's advice and placed fondant in a plastic bag inside a takeaway carton both with holes in on top of the crown board. This is now getting low so I was going to add some more. However the bees seem to have taken up residence inside the bag - perhaps because it is warm (as insulation is on top).

Any suggestions as to how I persuade the bees out of it so that I can give the more food. Didn't want to disturb them too much.

Thanks

I'd just remove the whole thing and put it near the hive entrance - as long as it's not freezing cold, they'll go back in.
As well, I don't think you need both the plastic bag and the carton, either hte carton inverted on top of the feeder hole or the bag with a few holes punched in it.

Slide it over so you get the two tuds over the same hole and when the first one is empty replace it with another full one

What do you mean by 'residence'? Building comb?

When empty and cold, the bees will not be so stupid as to stay there.

As per JBM or place another box over an adjacent hole or some similar ploy.

Slide it over so you get the two tuds over the same hole and when the first one is empty replace it with another full one

This is the easiest way to manage this. No need to bother with the plastic bag in future. I never do.
Cazza

Thanks I'll put the new one on the other hole and if they are still in the empty one after a while wait for a nicer day and put near entrance and next time not use a plastic bag.

They are not building comb but it is pretty full of bees..

Thanks all

Just bump them out of the plastic container onto the crown board,brush them back down the hole with your finger, and place full feeder back on, or just leave the other hole open for a short while and they will go back down that way.

Before now I have just cut a hole in the emptying fondant and put another -opened -over the cut area. Bees come up to the second one without disturbing the previous bag.

Latest posts

Back