Let’s get it on!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
So last week I placed a block of fondant on to feed my double brood colony. This week it was gone and replaced with drawn comb inside the container.
So I’ve taken the plunge and placed a Super on for them. My clear crown boards had visible cells with capped honey so figured they are ready.

My other colony on a 14x12 brood I’m not so sure about, the queen is always slow to lay but when started she packs them out. Thinking I may change this to a normal brood.

So will place a brood box on for them to draw out. Then maybe transfer them by a shook swarm method? Any suggestions?

I wouldn’t.
I‘d leave her to get going - if as you say she is prolific once “started”, but perhaps requeen later if she doesn’t “get started”

Worryingly the latest local association news letter I received the other day was advocating shook swarming to replace old comb. It’s still being taught to beginners

So last week I placed a block of fondant on to feed my double brood colony. This week it was gone and replaced with drawn comb inside the container.
So I’ve taken the plunge and placed a Super on for them. My clear crown boards had visible cells with capped honey so figured they are ready.

My other colony on a 14x12 brood I’m not so sure about, the queen is always slow to lay but when started she packs them out. Thinking I may change this to a normal brood.

So will place a brood box on for them to draw out. Then maybe transfer them by a shook swarm method? Any suggestions?
I wouldn't say your bees aren't ready for additional space. But if this is just after they've consumed a block of fondant in a week, couldn't it be sugar, rather than nectar that has stimulated them and that they have stored?

Latest posts

Back