Renovating a WBC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
I've been given an old WBC hive (two supers). It was used by my parents until they gave up around 4 years ago, since then it's been stored in a garage.

The white paint is pealing off in places and there are some cracks in the wood. It's generally sound though. I'm thinking to scrape/sand as much of the paint off as possible, fill in any cracks with wood filler and repaint.

Questions:
Any wood filler recommendations?
Any paint recommendations? Should I use an undercoat/primer, then overcoat? Do I need to be concerned about maintaining the breathablity of the wood? Gloss paint not a good idea?

Don't paint the lifts on the inside and the wood will breath no problem.

I have salvaged a couple of wbc's,it is very satisfying to see the end result with bees in.

I guess it depends if you intend to use it for bees.

Chris B on here let me have an old WBC to do up and use as an advert, I was going to put it out the front with honey for sale on it. It sat on the patio for about 3 months and finally the wife decided she would do it up.
So I found her a scraper and wire brush
then showed her how to use the sander
gave her my tin of ronseal exterior wood filler, filling knife and a quick demo
changed the pads on the sander
repaired and or replaced the rotten bits with some pine for her
glued and pinned the loose joints for her
layed the parts all out on batons for her to paint
found her some under coat and a brush
got her to apply another coat after the first one
changed the sander pad to fine for between coats
cleaned the brush and gave her some exterior white gloss
directed her to sand again between coats
cleaned the brush
put all the tools and stuff away so I could find them again
reassembled the hive on the patio and removed the paint covered batons
stood back and admired her handy work
decided its to good to put out the front cos it will get nicked
we now have a very nice garden ornament and my wife laps up the praise

I was never going to use it for bees as I didnt want another size box and frames.
It was easy and a pleasure to do said the wife.

Pete D

never going to use it for bees as I didnt want another size box and frames.

A 14 x 12 may well fit in it snugly; may need an extra lift or two, mind. Perhaps that could be another project for your wife?

Regards, RAB

A 14 x 12 may well fit in it snugly; may need an extra lift or two, mind. Perhaps that could be another project for your wife?

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab, I will offer one up at the weekend and try it for size, might be an extra swarm box............ for the wife !

Pete D

Bob Smith runs 14x12's. Only newly twigged that he is running proper WBC's. With WBC 14x12 broods (ply, if I recall correctly), and 9 Manley frame WBC supers. Where it makes sense is that he has a 9-frame extractor, and keeps each box together with its own set of frames ...

Guess so, especially if you are painting it with good exterior paint.
Some if the cheaper fillers can shrink back from a knot hole for instance but for other filling should be ok. Good waterproof wood glue are better for splits and crack repairs.
Cheers
Pete D

we now have a very nice garden ornament and my wife laps up the praise I was never going to use it for bees

Beware the accidental bait hive. Don't forget to block the entrance - unless you do put a few frames in too.

Regards, RAB

i know a member of this forum who has a newly built cedar WBC with a commercial box inside so a 14x12 will fit

Last edited:
i know a member of this forum who has a newly built cedar WBC with a commercial box inside so a 14x12 will fit

AFAIK the internal dimensions of the WBC lifts are not standardised across different manufacturers - so "Your Mileage May Vary" ...

AFAIK the internal dimensions of the WBC lifts are not standardised across different manufacturers - so "Your Mileage May Vary" ...

Definitely. I bought a second hand roof, 2 lifts and floor. By the time I'd finished, including making more lifts, and inventing a BB and supers to fit inside, I could have made one from scratch, or worked some overtime and bought a new one.

Latest posts

Back