Removing supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several hives and use a single stack clearer system where upto 5 supers from different hives are cleared without problems.
The set up is as follows --- stand a little away from hives -- a temporary floor (open front and back) -- a clearer board with an exit downwards -- stack of supers -- cleare board with exit upwards -- a reversed temp floor with a brick on top. The bees can exit at the top or bottom of the stack. After 24 hours the supers can be taken away.

I find there is less lifting from an active hive.

Oh blimey I've thought about doing this but thought there must be a reason why no one else does it.

I have several hives and use a single stack clearer system where upto 5 supers from different hives are cleared without problems.
The set up is as follows --- stand a little away from hives -- a temporary floor (open front and back) -- a clearer board with an exit downwards -- stack of supers -- cleare board with exit upwards -- a reversed temp floor with a brick on top. The bees can exit at the top or bottom of the stack. After 24 hours the supers can be taken away.

I find there is less lifting from an active hive.

I would like to try that..is there any negatives clearing supers this way.

Sounds like a great set up.

Last time I cleaned an extractor it took an age. Must have been doing it wrong!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

From June till Aug/September I'm extracting 4-5 supers a couple of times a week. Extractor gets closed off between extractions and cleaned at the end of the season. I'm lucky to have a separate extraction area at home that doesn't get in the way.

Very interested in trying the hot air gun method, are the cells damaged in anyway or misshapen by melting the capping’s?

There are other threads on this. Don't really want to hijack this one but short and sweet, not if you do it right! Just pops the cappings.
E

I would like to try that..is there any negatives clearing supers this way.

Only one I can think off is most of the bees in the supers are usually nurse bees with no idea of where "home" is.

Only one I can think off is most of the bees in the supers are usually nurse bees with no idea of where "home" is.

That is what I was thinking and where would all the nurse bees end up if they have never done a orientation flight.. It certainly sounds an effective way of clearing multiple supers but at a cost of losing bees from one or two hives..i will stick with my shake and brush method..i know where the bees are going that way.

..i will stick with my shake and brush method..i know where the bees are going that way.

Get yoursellf some rhombus clearers (about £1.50 each) and make up a couple of clearer boards .. they are very effective. With your DIY skills an hours work ..

Clear one, two or even three supers at one go - usually totally get all the bees out. The only place they CAN go is into their own hive.

On a good day .. few hours to clear the bees.. worst case .. overnight. No disturbance or agitating them with a bee brush.

Fine if you have hives close by. 2 trips if you have a long way to go.An extra 3 hours for Millet...
I clear all out apiaries by shake and brush.
Use rhombus clearer boards in home apiary , but more minimum of overnight and always a few bees left to brush off.
They work very poorly in really hot weather, like last year

Get yoursellf some rhombus clearers (about £1.50 each) and make up a couple of clearer boards .. they are very effective. With your DIY skills an hours work ...

Why would I need to make more...?.. I already have four..I tried them once and they take too long compared to a shake and brush.

SINGLE STACK CLEARER SYSTEM[B[

I read of this system in Beekeeping Quarterly from a Canadian correspondent.

A couple of minor negatives. Carrying a heavy full super to the stack. After clearing a few bees may remain on central super -- easy to brush off.

SINGLE STACK CLEARER SYSTEM[B[

I read of this system in Beekeeping Quarterly from a Canadian correspondent.

A couple of minor negatives. Carrying a heavy full super to the stack. After clearing a few bees may remain on central super -- easy to brush off.

Where do the bees go that have never seen day light..that is my only concern otherwise it seems a brilliant method to clear the supers..

Depends how many supers you are clearing....
Stacks of 30 supers will take forever.

May need to take you up on that...some of mine are getting quite tall.

Skyscraper-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back