Test frame now with two small QC’s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’m going to make up a nuc. In same apiary is this plan ok:
Frame of capped brood with eggs stores and drawn comb.
shake in 50% more nurse bees than I think and block entrance with loosely packed grass. after 24 hours. Check they’re flying and returning at entrance and not blocked in.
Knock down emergency QCs ( introduce caged Q and 1/1 sugar syrup at this stage???)
Leave in cage and after 7 days go in and crack seal on cage, leave them alone for at least two weeks??

So I’m going to make up a nuc. In same apiary is this plan ok:
Frame of capped brood with eggs stores and drawn comb.
shake in 50% more nurse bees than I think and block entrance with loosely packed grass. after 24 hours. Check they’re flying and returning at entrance and not blocked in.
Knock down emergency QCs ( introduce caged Q and 1/1 sugar syrup at this stage???)
Leave in cage and after 7 days go in and crack seal on cage, leave them alone for at least two weeks??
If you are making up a nuc for a bought in queen :
First wait until the new queen arrives in the post then put her in your beesuit pocket when you go to the apiary.
I would then put in two frames of capped/emerging brood, not one and maybe a frame of just drawn comb. You should also put in a frame of stores, or if there is no flow on, put on a feeder of 1:1 syrup.
Put in the queen (with attendant) between the two frames of brood.
Then loosely plug the entrance and shake in the nurse bees.
24 hours later, go in and break the tab on the cage, also having a quick check for any EQCs they may have started, then leave alone.
I usually pop in after a few days/a week to make sure they've released her and remove the cage (don't inspect/look for her) then leave them alone for another week or two before doing a light inspection.

Y
If you are making up a nuc for a bought in queen :
First wait until the new queen arrives in the post then put her in your beesuit pocket when you go to the apiary.
I would then put in two frames of capped/emerging brood, not one and maybe a frame of just drawn comb. You should also put in a frame of stores, or if there is no flow on, put on a feeder of 1:1 syrup.
Put in the queen (with attendant) between the two frames of brood.
Then loosely plug the entrance and shake in the nurse bees.
24 hours later, go in and break the tab on the cage, also having a quick check for any EQCs they may have started, then leave alone.
I usually pop in after a few days/a week to make sure they've released her and remove the cage (don't inspect/look for her) then leave them alone for another week or two before doing a light inspection.
Thanks really appreciate your input

yes she’s a bought in BMH Q.

If I don’t need to create a nuc until Q arrives (in 5 days) I plan to put the frames you mentioned above a Qx in another deep tomorrow so the nurse bees are attracted to the brood up from the deep with the main colony in. through Qx
Then use these frames to form the nuc as soon as the Q arrives. Then continue as you advised 👍🏼

If I don’t need to create a nuc until Q arrives (in 5 days) I plan to put the frames you mentioned above a Qx in another deep tomorrow so the nurse bees are attracted to the brood up from the deep with the main colony in. through Qx
Then use these frames to form the nuc as soon as the Q arrives. Then continue as you advised
sound plan - saves the stress of making sure a sneaky queen doesn't find her way into the nuc.

Back