Removing old honey labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Has anyone got any tips for removing old labels from used honey jars?

I've got quite a stack of jars returned over the years and it's time to either clean them and use them or else visit the bottle bank.

Thanks

WD40 is apparently 100% effective. Spray and leave overnight to penetrate/soak, remove label, wipe and wash.

Heat, oil or spirits to soften or thin the adhesive. WD40 is supposedly good for removing coffee stains from cups. Score label with knife to aid penetration of oil through the label rather than from around the edges.

If all else fails, rub with a virgin drone. Always test first to ensure that WD40 smell doesn't linger. Lighter fuel or barbeque starter is also rated as a dead cert, with the latter being a lot cheaper.

PH always advises WD40, but he is now into cut comb, so go figure . . :)

Thanks Hombre,
Actually I checked some of these jars that have been outside and it seems the slugs have been doing the job for me. I guess they like the glue.

You can buy cans of label remover, I assume from a diy store.
(the oh 'borrows' it from work!)

sticky stuff remover from the hard ware shop.

i strip a lot of wine bottle lables and what we do is to give the top paper half of the label a rub with a blunt butter knief to remove the paper top and then use sticky stuff remover or goo gone and leave them for half an hour to soften it. i have also seen leamon juice used as well but it dont work on the wine labels that well

I wonder that everytime I try to remove a label from a jam jar. Some come off a treat, other you couldn't get off for love nor money!

It seems that slugs have no particular preference and as most of the labels are of 'own' variety, then not many beeks will be buying lick-on labels these days. Perish the thought. Trading standards would have a field-day if they thought you were licking labels . . . WD40, lighter fluid, barbeque starter fluid or slugs OK.

701, 702, lick, lick . . . ha ha.

The glue on my labels is sticky based.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back