Removing Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

I have 3 supers on my hive ATM, and its pretty full, how much can i take out this year, and how best to do it if I don't have any honey extraction equipment, can i just remove the comb with the honey in it?

JohnnyD

3 full supers could be about 35kg of honey (or even more, dependent on frame numbers).

You will remove comb with honey in it. There is no other way, to my knowledge.

If there is that much honey your best bet would be to hire or borrow an extractor, probably through your LBKA.

Empty drawn combs are a valuable asset and need storing carefully, ready for next season.

RAB

Don't forget to give the empty frames back to the bees (same hive they came from - in case of disease transmission apparently) before storing the dry drawn frames.

If i have 3 quite full supers, how many frames can i take out (with the comb) as i don't have a spinner etc and still keep the bees happy, i think it takes longer for them to make new comb than it does the honey if i am correct?

JD

Don't forget to give the empty frames back to the bees (same hive they came from - in case of disease transmission apparently) before storing the dry drawn frames.

Rearrange the super frames so you end up with two supers all frames capped. The bees still have a super that's almost/full, which they will easily fill if there is Himalayan Balsam around.
I would seriously consider joining an association, they usually have equipment for hire and this is very helpful when you start out. Do you know any local beekeepers? You may find some generous soul.

JohnnyD,

I've got an extractor you can borrow (its just a budget one but does the job) I'm only in Calne so can drop it round tomorrow if you like?

James

JohnnyD,

I've got an extractor you can borrow (its just a budget one but does the job) I'm only in Calne so can drop it round tomorrow if you like?

James

sounds like a very nice man to me!!! or have you just seen the other thread that loan is worth a bottle of wine:biggrinjester:

joking aside, nice to see.

sounds like a very nice man to me!!! or have you just seen the other thread that loan is worth a bottle of wine:biggrinjester:

joking aside, nice to see.

Sadly not really keen on wine (probably could be forced to try Mead though!! ;) ) just nice to see there's other new bee keepers nearby.

Latest posts

Back