Removing a swarm during the day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Here we go again.

Just had a call from a lady who asked a so called bee keeper to collect a swarm in her garden yesterday. He arrived and shook the bees into a nuc and left it on the ground whilst he went to talk to the lady to ask for money to cover the cost of petrol. About 30 minutes later she went out to offer him a drink but he had picked up the nuc and left leaving behind thousands of bees.

So this morning she called me to ask if I would be kind enough to come and collect the remaining 4" round cluster of bees before they become a nuisance. Going by the description she gave me I think I know who this bee keeper is and I know he is a member of this forum.

This is now the fourth time I've been called to sort out your mess. :mad:

Last edited:
Bad practice examples like this just fuel the debate of only having qualified beekeepers on the swarm list (which I do not agree with by the way).
Sometimes leaving bees behind is unavoidable, but this sounds like the first collector left the queen behind. If so it serves him/her right.

but this sounds like the first collector left the queen behind. If so it serves him/her right.

Not always so, there will be pheromones left from the queen that the bees will cluster around.

but this sounds like the first collector left the queen behind. If so it serves him/her right.

Not always so, there will be pheromones left from the queen that the bees will cluster around.

:iagree: I had to go back out last night to collect a small ball of bees that hadn't made it back when I removed the nuc it was in a very public place right next to a ruff housing estate so couldn't leave the nuc, I know the queen was in the nuc as I put her there spotted her on the floor :D

I housed a swarm (my first) on sunday in my garden and went back to collect a remaining cluster from the hedge/fence and when I shook them into the box..there was the queen, I know she was in the box for over an hour with most of the bees, but she must hve flown out of the hive while I was assembling the frames and crown board. There was still a small cluster there over night, they must still sense the queen pheromones left behind.

Here we go again.

Going by the description she gave me I think I know who this bee keeper is and I know he is a member of this forum.

This is now the fourth time I've been called to sort out your mess. :mad:

Admin lives in Hampshire:)

I sympathise mike , it happens all too often sadly .

G

After knocking the swarm into nuc or skep I always smoke the area that the swarm was found on to hide the residue pheromones.... seems to work and you dont have to wait long for all the stragglers to find their way to their new accommodation...

Admin lives in Hampshire:)

Glad to say it wasn't Admin.

This person should be banned from anything to do with bees, in the same way the rspca can take people to court for cruelty to animals I wish bbka would take him to court.

PS. Person X if you want to ring me you know how to get hold of me as my name and number is on our website provided you ring the lady first and apologies to her.

Well I know it wasnt me
Not because of any misconceived ideas about my ability as a Beekeeper
(I am still learning like everyone else).
But because I dont charge people to collect swarms.

Should I ?

Other than on public ground, I think people will accept you have to make a small charge for fuel. If they had to call pest control call out it is around £70 -£80 in this area.

I will accept cake or chocolate or cuttings of plants :)

Likely sells the bees on, immediately, as well? Saving an extra trip to recover the whole lot? Collects lots of swarms? Or perhaps not a thinking beekeeper?

Why charge,if the swarms not wanted,let someone who needs it collect it.

I can't understand why you would charge... if you're a beekeeper surely the benefit is the swarm.... and if it turns out to be a bad swarm , then thats pot luck.

There you go, phone call yesterday afternoon leading to a swarm collected from the top off a high wall at the back of a butchers shop.

Payment received:

• A swarm of bees for my neighbour to hive
  • A large handmade pork pie for each of us

Result :D

FWIW I would rather lose the swarm than take them in the day.

In fact I did on Monday. When they phoned me back at 7pm as agreed they were gone. *shrug*

Having identified that they actually are a swarm I ask the contact to phone me or I call them, about 7pm and agree an arrival time of about 8-30 to 9pm to collect, and try to ensure the absolute minimum of bees left behind.

Saves a lot of fuel and grief.

PH

Latest posts

Back