Recording inspection notes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone used a voice recorder for making notes whilst inspecting hives?
Making paper notes whilst inspecting tends to extend the time the hive is open and the pen/paper invariable finish up covered in propolis/honey/wax and the usual hive detritus.
Can't rely on memory since by the time I have finished inspecting Hive 5, I've forgottom most of what I've seen in Hive 1.
Voice recording my observations seems to be a way forward but would like recommendations from those using this method.
I though of a straightforward dictaphone (skip the joke) with a wired or bluetooth mike since the device may not picl up my voice as it willbe in my pocket.
Any suggestions?

I use a basic voice recorder when inspecting. I switch it on when I go into the apiary, put it in the breast pocket of my bee suit and just talk my way through the inspections so I have a record of what I did and what I need to do next time. Recording quality is fine with just the built-in microphone.

It can be a bit tedious listening back to the recordings and making the appropriate notes, but I find that I'm much more organised as a result. I feel sure that there ought to be an even better solution, but other than having someone who doesn't touch the hives to make notes I've not discovered what that might be yet.

James

I use a basic voice recorder when inspecting. I switch it on when I go into the apiary, put it in the breast pocket of my bee suit and just talk my way through the inspections so I have a record of what I did and what I need to do next time. Recording quality is fine with just the built-in microphone.

It can be a bit tedious listening back to the recordings and making the appropriate notes, but I find that I'm much more organised as a result. I feel sure that there ought to be an even better solution, but other than having someone who doesn't touch the hives to make notes I've not discovered what that might be yet.

James
Thanks James. My main concern was whether the built-in mike would pick up my mumblings through a fairly thick beesuit or it would sound like a series of incoherent grunts. I tried with SWMBO taking notes (she did shorthand light years ago) but she took a sting to the face and resigned. There are a few cheap and cheerful devices on ebay for me to try.

what on earth do people find that they need so many notes? I find a few trigger points on a single line in a traditional 3x4" pocket notebook suffices for 90% of the time - the other 10% takes up an additional line.

what on earth do people find that they need so many notes? I find a few trigger points on a single line in a traditional 3x4" pocket notebook suffices for 90% of the time - the other 10% takes up an additional line.

In may case it's not the volume of information, just that pen & paper can get sticky and/or wet.

James

When I downsized last year wanted to tell new owner about colony by looking back at notebook. I use abbreviations. Some of it made very little sense.

In may case it's not the volume of information, just that pen & paper can get sticky and/or wet.

James
Tried voice recording on phone laying on edge of box as i did inspection. Works. V. boring listening back. Don't want propolis on phone.

Ran out of space writing on the lid and some permanent markers are more permanent than others.

IMGP20181104-05-small.jpg

The most organised beekeeper I've ever witnessed (not me I hasten to add) used a small ring binder book with laminated white cards for each hive. The cards had a series of columns with all the usual things Date, Frames of BIAS, Stores, Queen Cells found, Temperament, etc, Space for a comment and Action needed. He had a lead page with the inspection dates, the weather and which hives were inspected.

I can't remember all the things, there were not that many and most of it was just a box where he put a cross. He used chinagraph pencils which, on the laminated card, were impervious to whatever weather. He always had a few of the pencils in his pocket in different colours and also used some sort of code using the colours.

I wish I could have any sort of organised system for my bees let alone one that works ! I have a laminator and keep meaning to do something similar - but inspections seem to get in the way of intensive record keeping to be honest ! I mostly use the brick system.

A modifed version of this: From about 2 min 30.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the day when I have the understanding, confidence and experience to rely on bullet points to record my hives' development. Meanwhile ......

I have a laminated sheet with tick boxes etc and use a non permanent OHP pen. Once home, the notes are transferred to each queens designated page.

I use a Toma pen & write anything important under the roof, any action needed next visit goes into a small notebook.
Too much information is unnecessary and just wastes time.

I use a Toma pen & write anything important under the roof, any action needed next visit goes into a small notebook. Too much information is unnecessary and just wastes time.
This is the the absolute truth.

I used a Toma and wrote on the roof until this year, when I forgot the pen and switched to coded notes & photos on an apiary WhatsApp.

Donald Sims used a code system and his fluent writing gives a valuable insight into the economy of work: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/sixty-years-with-bees/author/donald-sims/

Agreed, but only because my apiary is small. I'm also in a very fortunate situation is often being accompanied by a most glamorous assistant - my lovely wife. She is not keen, at present, to get hands-on, but she takes notes, and is an incredibly valuable second observer. Notes written up on Excel spreadsheet a.s.a.p. when I get home and have cleaned up.

I've only just started making notes as my memory is getting pretty bad. I'm currently writing on the roofs with chalk pen. Seems to be ok a the moment with few hives in one apiary. I think I'd need a diary letting me know which apiaries I'd need to visit If I had more apiaries and hives and then read the roofs when I get there

The most organised beekeeper I've ever witnessed (not me I hasten to add) used a small ring binder book with laminated white cards for each hive. The cards had a series of columns with all the usual things Date, Frames of BIAS, Stores, Queen Cells found, Temperament, etc, Space for a comment and Action needed. He had a lead page with the inspection dates, the weather and which hives were inspected.

I can't remember all the things, there were not that many and most of it was just a box where he put a cross. He used chinagraph pencils which, on the laminated card, were impervious to whatever weather. He always had a few of the pencils in his pocket in different colours and also used some sort of code using the colours.

I wish I could have any sort of organised system for my bees let alone one that works ! I have a laminator and keep meaning to do something similar - but inspections seem to get in the way of intensive record keeping to be honest ! I mostly use the brick system.

A modifed version of this: From about 2 min 30.

You identified the basic standard data: easy to record in abbreviated formats on a spreadsheet - and I owe my version to the Improvers course I enjoyed at my local branch of the BBKA. The only addition I have come across that strikes me as having value is the facility of taking a photo of anything not yet understood, or out of the ordinary. As I don't have a smartphone, and having reservations about mixing such devices with nitrile gloves daubed with propolis, wax etc., a mental photograph has to do.

Do you transcribe your notes so that you have 'by the hive' records - or simply work with your 'by the day' notes?

Do you transcribe your notes so that you have 'by the hive' records - or simply work with your 'by the day' notes?
they go into a record binder (one sheet for each queen/colony) just a tick box report, a bit simpler than the PDF below which I made up for my beginners. I've yet to find there's need for any more than that

Attachments

• HIVE RECORD CARD.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 1
Donald Sims used a code system and his fluent writing gives a valuable insight into the economy of work: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/sixty-years-with-bees/author/donald-sims/
I tried this in my second year of beekeeping. Much too much detail and time consuming (unless you are a Simms type).
Beginners need simple - xls file, print A2 copies, put into a ring binder with an HB pencil with and eraser. This suits me with 5-10 hives and a few nucs.

Date, Frames of BIAS, Stores, Queen Cells found, Temperament, etc, Space for a comment and Action needed
Only variables from a functioning colony are essential: I make no record of colonies with BIAS, stores, space, without QCs and that are of good temper, and can recall in an apiary of 12 those which perform well, those that are trouble (SW), and those not worth the time (REQ).

Date of splits (SPL), virgin out (VOUT), bad temper or poor Q (REQ) or disease (DIS) and varroa treatment dates (V12.9.24) are useful. Those queenright (Q+) get a brick in line of flight, Q- a brick across; undetermined have a brick at 45.

too much detail and time consuming ... Sims
I agree, but the principle remains sound if pruned ruthessly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back