BeePlus record keeping app

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 + 3 nucs
My husband has developed a beekeeping app, BeePlus - Hive & Apiary Manager, for the iPhone\iPad and we would love more feedback on it, suggestions for improvements, and generally how you find using it. There are contact details on how to contact him directly within the app as he doesn't use the forum. Otherwise I can pass questions\comments on to him myself.

I have been using it as part of my own record keeping, and we have been improving it as we realise something is needed, but extra input from fresh eyes is always appreciated.

The app enables you to:

-Have multiple apiaries with records for each hive.
-QR codes can be generated and printed to attached to hives for quick ID, will take you straight to inspection page for the hive in question.
-Hives can easily be transferred between sites in the app.
-Location data, including GPS can be locally stored.
-All apiary sites can be seen on a satellite map, with a 3 mile radius drawn on.
- Record detailed inspection data for each visit, text boxes allow you to make your own notes. Observations can be recorded, plans made, simple buttons for weather, queen\eggs\brood etc.
-Photos can be included throughout the app from apiary sites, to hives, to individual inspections.
-Clean, simple, easy to navigate
-Output hive data to a text file or PDF for email or printing, therefore data can be transferred to a permanent storage medium.
-View graphical representations of inspection data.
-You can share/sync inspection data between apple devices, so if more than one person does inspections can be kept up to date.
-Can record honey yields from each hive

6sAt.png
6sBt.png

It is completely free to download with no adverts or limitations. We have decided to keep BeePlus free as a lot of newbies will be using it for record keeping, but if you find it useful there is the option to make a donation to support further development. It is only available on the App Store for Apple devices for now as we can only test on these devices at the moment (sorry!).

BeePlus iTunes page

Find us on Facebook for more images, more information, updates (and our own personal beekeeping story).

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have given it a try if it was android.

I use Beetight Pro at the moment and I am very pleased with it.

Do you offer similar functionality?

I've just bought bee tight pro too

I've just bought bee tight pro too

How are you finding it?

For me its great...

I scan a hives QR label, do the inspection, close up, sit on hammock and write up the notes on my phone, then move onto the next hive..

Never had such comprehensive notes.

I dont like that the developer isnt overly active and doesnt take on feedback.

For example, I would like to be able to take pictures of each hive and have a profile picture or link a picture to a particular inspection. Posted on his twitter but never heard back

I'm new to it, so still feeling my way. There are some areas where I'd like to see changes.
I don't get the need for a picture of the hive - the important stuff is inside

No particular need for it as the QR code identifies the hive for you.. Just be a nicer layout

Pictures that are linked to inspections are very handy though. Can capture number of queen cells, diseases, amount of brood, amount of bees etc.. Detailed pictures saves me writing lots and the fact you have to have your phone there anyway means its on hand to take pictures

The functionality to take pictures is there but no way to link them to hives or inspections.

Saying all that, I am very happy with the app overall.

Still finding my way with it.

Just got it today I quite like it! not done my first inspection yet as I only got the nuc on Sunday but will see what I think then, first impression I think is a simple well thought out app.

Last edited:
It has been developed independently so can't really compare with Beetight!

It started off as a dedicated phone app for our own use, but seeing as it came on so well thought we would continue to improve it for other beekeepers who wish to keep records digitally.

You can certainly export data to a computer but the data input is done via the app.

We would like to make it as good as possible so please, please give feedback - ideally via the app page so it goes straight to John who can and will make changes. For example, we added QR codes after a commercial beekeeper in Australia suggested it so he could identify hives easier.

I will run it for another apiary alongside Beetight. The point with these things is that the developer listens and responds.

I will run it for another apiary alongside Beetight. The point with these things is that the developer listens and responds.

:iagree:

That's the main issue I have with Beetight (who is also a one man band by the way).

If you ever plan to move onto android as well I will happily run it alongside bee tight and give you some feedback

There seems to be no provision for "jobs to do" on a hive, or reminder alerts for the dates these need to be done.
Like the transfer hive option

I tried creating a dummy apiary with two hives.

Cant work out and understand the hive transfer-id bits, can't see how to delete duplicate inspections plus the help is not very clear and assumes knowledge.

Last edited:
There seems to be no provision for "jobs to do" on a hive, or reminder alerts for the dates these need to be done.
Like the transfer hive option

Noted ta

Motobiman said:
Cant work out and understand the hive transfer-id bits, can't see how to delete duplicate inspections plus the help is not very clear and assumes knowledge.

So to delete duplicate hives\apiaries\inspections swipe to the left on item to be deleted and a red delete box will appear.

If you want to move hives between apiaries you don't need an ID code - just tap the photo for that hive - and at the bottom of the list is the "Choose new apiary site".

But in order to sync hive data across devices both the hive and the containing apiary need to have a transfer id. The id on both devices should match to sync correctly, if no matching id is found on the receiving device, a new item will be created.

Thanks
And that's a local hive ID and the matching QR code.

Is there a way to set alerts for the "to do" update? Also be useful to see the "job to be done" in the to do part of the hive list without having to click on the hive. This would help with assembling kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back