Record software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a piece of software with a frontend (GUI)[/QUOTE]

It is relatively easy to design GUIs for excel within excel.

I added a user-friendly GUI front-end for a bookkeeping spreadsheet many moons ago (at least 15 years ago).

Just found this on youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbtE_NqRL-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbtE_NqRL-Q[/ame]

Not suggesting that you would want to do this, just not to discount the possibility of someone else having done this on an excel spreadsheet (which otherwise lends itself to storing data like this and, depending on what you choose to measure, could provide some interesting charts and graphs).

Riddle me this ree then...

Hive with cells, AS done.. how is that dealt with?

PH

Dont know what your prob is with those online sites. Ive used beetight in the past but grudge the subscription for extra hives so now use hive tracks which has came on leaps and bounds over the past couple of seasons. Even got a slick mobile version (in beta) but working great in the field and better than that its all FREE. And data can be downloaded locally if I ever need it for any reason.

Steady - you're almost getting into solution design with "and how you'd like to do it" ;)
Probably better expressed as 'what you have available to do it with' unless there's a hardware budget :).

Far from it, even I would struggle to list all the perfect requirements, in simple terms I don't want to use excel, I want a piece of software with a frontend (GUI) that is purpose made for beekeeping, along the lines of APIS (this looks rather good but far too expensive http://tinyurl.com/c6osqmb ) or Bidata, this has a lot of features but is very dated and not at all easy to navigate http://tinyurl.com/cwles6g
Can't say I've looked seriously at Apis or Bidata but like most of the bee software they look inventory based from the manuals. As in many designs you're letting the database dictate the function. There are areas where that's absolutely what you want but it can end up detail heavy. As Poly says, you have a lot of info to record that may be of no practical use. Perhaps more frequently seen than many managements are prepared to admit. It might be better to start with the essentials of what you need to record before you are committed to shuffling and reordering endless lists of items whenever to want to change anything.

My starting point is that, if you are going to II, hereditary records are everything. You would only record hives if you are tracking components for comparison purposes. Otherwise, the records you really need are queens and sites/stands. Colonies are just descendants of the queen and hives are just boxes on a site, recording them separately is just adding work for minimal benefit. Perhaps a winter task to work something out.

Riddle me this ree then...

Hive with cells, AS done.. how is that dealt with?

PH

Not sure if this was aimed at me, re: recording it in excel?

But quite simple, you could have a check box for typical things to look for, including charged QC. If you check that box it could display a further dialog "swarm control", which could either be a text entry, another list of options including AS, with calendar widget for you to record the date it was done.

You can do all kinds of funky conditional display, like as soon as the QC is checked for a hive, that hive displays in red. Once you have entered something in the swarm control dialog, it goes green, so at a glance you can see which of your hives have got qcs (and need some management still) or have had management.

why not use a stylus with graphite centre and a piece of compressed, dried wood pulp?
Apparently you can use this gum-like material if you make mistakes.........

why not use a stylus with graphite centre and a piece of compressed, dried wood pulp?
Apparently you can use this gum-like material if you make mistakes.........

:D

That's the high tec system I use!

Latest posts

Back