Record Keeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guisachan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Have seen various methods for keeping records. Is there a specific journal that can be got to record everything or has anyone got any experience of recording everything digitally. If so on what.

Thanks

Simon

There are a number of software products available. I have two but prefer to use the one that uploads my records to the cloud so that I have access in the field. That enables me to have records wherever I am. I also have a written card in the hive for quick viewing. It's important that you select the fields that are important to you for your immediate and future needs - is queen rearing likely to be if interest to you for example? Queen/ eggs/ brood/ larvae/ stores/ disease/ temperament/ are some of the important ones. The rest is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought there was a requirement to keep records. Excuse me if not but am very new to this.

Simon

There is a requirement to keep records of any medication that you apply to your bees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started keeping records on Beebase. You can do that once registered, all you have to do is log into your account.

I gave up when I realised I actually prefer written records in a folder, which I know doesn't suit everybody.

prefer to use the one that uploads my records to the cloud so that I have access in the field. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try not to inspect when it's cloudy

I started keeping records on Beebase. You can do that once registered, all you have to do is log into your account.

I gave up when I realised I actually prefer written records in a folder, which I know doesn't suit everybody.
:iagree:
I started putting all my records on beebase last year, but it's really slow and clunky and not that easy to amend things en bloc. I sill kept my paper records though, and as it only takes a few minutes to input the same data - I'm back to that!!

Most of record softwares analyse the quality of hives for breeding. If hives are under 10 pieces, you really do not need those knowledge.

Where is my yard, google map tells it to you....If you do not know where is your hives, propably GSM or Google map will not help you. Drive to doctor directly.

Most of record systems are humbug information. Like how many brings pollen? To count that is false information. How many pollen store frames ...that is better if you rear queens.

Ordinary notebook is enough.

I am an IT whiz... and I have started keeping records 'on-line'... but recently I moved a queen in with an artificial swarm. The software would not let me do it. It forced her to stay at home. Having a smartphone at the hive is not smart. (Cannot use it with gloves, they don't like standing under hive parts and there is rarely a signal.) By the time I get home (the other end of the garden) I cannot remember if it was hive 1 or 2 with 3 frames of brood and a spotted queen (or stripes).

I've never had those problems with paper/card/pencil.
Recovering ITaholic.

I thought there was a requirement to keep records. Excuse me if not but am very new to this.

Simon

Why electronically I should have said, note book and pen is good enough, uploading them on to software only doubles the amount of work.

Smartphone Will be soon ruined by beehive resins.
Camera lens Does not stand that kind OF work.

You can't beat pen and paper for note taking. You have to write it down in the apiary anyway unless you have super memory. Why do it twice on a pc?

I've started using a voice recorder and then write the notes up when I get home.
Tried that but voice got buzzed out.... and I am not fast so took ages to trawl back through. Back to paper and pen, all in file, with each apiary sectioned.
I absolutely keep records as memory not wonderful.

Each to their own. I sit here at work, some 25 miles away from my main apiary. I have just reviewed/ edited my online records and planned my next visits. Do that with quill and parchment!

Whatever works for the beekeeper. Some with very few hives will cope with a very 'localised' system (e.g. record cards). That would not work in my situation; I can often find an opportune moment to review the workings of apiaries with a browser based system. This is supplemented by 'reminder' cards - laminated tick lists under lids for a quick reminder of current status.

Smartphones can be a tad fiddly - but the system that I use is based on a single-tap (e.g. no of frames of pollen <1.2.3,4.......>) with room for comments. Thin latex gloves are not a problem and the phone is not-so-smart. It works nicely for me.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Would like to try and make it look smart so pen and paper is my first choice. Does anyone know if you can buy a decent pre printed journal to keep everything in?

Back