Recommendations for reading on swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'd like to do a bit more reading around swarms and swarm management. Would anyone be able to make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

LJ

I'd like to do a bit more reading around swarms and swarm management. Would anyone be able to make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

LJ

'a bit more' is too vague

have you read Hooper, and De Bruyn?

'a bit more' is too vague

have you read Hooper, and De Bruyn?

Thanks Tonybloke, in answer to the above, Yes, both, and at length. I was looking for something that covers in detail the current thinking on swarm triggers, and offers informed advice on the pros and cons of different variations of swarm prevention and control. Hooper and deBruyn touch on the subject, but both are books with a generalist theme, so something more specific could be better? This might be a big ask, but at the moment, I'm not sure what's out there in the literature. These books are often costly, so I'm keen to get recommendations first.

LJ

Cross post edited.

Snelgrove?

Anyone know anything about "Swarming: biology, prevention, control and collecting - from the best of Bee Culture"? / as listed by T's ...

Last edited:
A suggestion.
Why don't you list on here all he swarm control methods you know about and ask members to fill in the gaps or add to the list.

As others have said, Seeley has excellent information on this.

Remember to read the one your bees have read ;)

Jc

A suggestion.
Why don't you list on here all he swarm control methods you know about and ask members to fill in the gaps or add to the list.

As others have said, Seeley has excellent information on this.

I'll take a look at Seeley. But this isn't just about methodology, it's about understanding at a more fundamental level what is going on? Only then, can you make an informed judgement about methodology, no?

I'll take a look at Seeley. But this isn't just about methodology, it's about understanding at a more fundamental level what is going on? Only then, can you make an informed judgement about methodology, no?

Prof Seeley is a researcher. Honeybee Democracy is about experimental investigation of swarm decision making.
Its not about hive management for swarm control or swarm capture or even anything directly to do with hive management - or the processes leading to a swarm.
Its about what swarms, having swarmed away from their old home and immediately clustered, do next. How and why.
Fundamental understanding.

Excellent book.

Sounds right up my street! Perfect. Any other suggestions always gratefully received too. thanks itma!

Seeley available as an EPub download...

Back