OSB sealer recommendations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivachaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a OSB sealer,
That stands the test of time and is readily available from the likes of B&Q, screwfix , toolstation, travis Perkins ?

Any good / cheap ones that work well?

Mix of linseed and white spirits
First coat 50:50
2nd coat 75:25
3rd coat 90:10
Then paint with a solvent based paint (ie oil based not water based).
Should last years

Mix of linseed and white spirits
First coat 50:50
2nd coat 75:25
3rd coat 90:10
Then paint with a solvent based paint (ie oil based not water based).
Should last years
Thank you !

Could the roof be treated the same way ?
Yes but clearly need to apply a thin layer at least every two years.
The white spirits helps the linseed oil to penetrate deep and this helps enormously to prevent water ingress. This really helps.
The paint seems to help protect that linseed from the sun and I guess slowly leaching out.

Yes but clearly need to apply a thin layer at least every two years.
The white spirits helps the linseed oil to penetrate deep and this helps enormously to prevent water ingress. This really helps.
The paint seems to help protect that linseed from the sun and I guess slowly leaching out.
Great - thank you Roger .👍

Have you used this this treatment for nuc or hives ? Have they stood the test of time for a few Years ?

Have you used this this treatment for nuc or hives ? Have they stood the test of time for a few Years ?
I guess the cut/open ends will stay good with this method , or would extra applications be required for these areas ?

We’ve used it for all sorts of things including bee kit and other stuff.
And yes we’ve had stuff out there for years. I have a small OSB board on my motorhome to replace a bit of old trim behind a front wheel and it really gets hammered. Been several years and I haven’t yet repainted (it’s shaded).

Latest posts

Back