reasoning.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
So what is the answer,no one seems to really know. they never will.

So what is the answer,no one seems to really know. they never will.

Hi Hivemaker! If you do something, how often you tell the real reason?

Can you tell it or have you a reason to hide it?

How often we say:"You have no reason..."

.....What is the reson that you cannot give up your stupid question?

Last edited:
And what is the reason to think of a reason,you get very confused.you need to have a sandwich with your drink?

,you get very confused.?

Is this a milk trap?

stucked-cow-1.jpg

Finman and Hivemaker are you sure you two aren't married??? I love the way you squabble.:rolleyes::

I agree Poly,its the clash of 2 great beekeeping minds.

I just look on and try to keep up.:(

I love Finmans posts,its like reading a beekeeping book backwards :laughing-smiley-004

Few quick thoughts for you.
1. The bees may well have learnt that they lose pollen when they go through a pollen trap, but if its the only way into their home they will do it anyway. Maybe someone should try having 2 entrances one with trap one without.

2. If bees canot reason and only bring in nectar as a result of a genetic code why will they ignore some close to home sources and travel over them to reach others.

3. If you move a hive a few feet away, when foragers return they can seen to look for their home before entering.

David

PS im new to all this so dont claim any knowledge

Hi David P

Just to help you out a bit regarding what bees get up to.

Maybe someone should try having 2 entrances one with trap one without.
Having two entrances makes sense but........... it will mean more guard bees and they would leave one entrance alone. Not a good idea.

will they ignore some close to home sources and travel over them to reach others.
Bees will select the most nutritious food they can. For example if a certain flower is producing nectar and a bush for example, is also producing nectar.
Irrespective of distance they will fly to the source with the higher sucrose content, and if that means flying a mile or so extra, that's what they will do.

If you move a hive a few feet away, when foragers return they can seen to look for their home before entering.

You have made a profound statement. Firstly you have moved a hive away from its original stand. Next you mention the bees will look for the hive as its been moved, but eventually they do find it.

I once wanted to replace a colony into a Langstroth from a National.
I took the National into my field and placed the Langstroth in the old position.
I then shook all the bees, queen included out on to the grass and moved away with the old National.
Within half an hour the colony were in its new home.

Regards;

Thanks for you comments Bcrazy.

The two entrance idea was really a suggestion as to a way to test reason ie one with pollen trap and one without to see which one they favoured.

If they will always select the source with the highest sucrose count then that again suggests some sort of reasoning.

as to moving hives if "eventually they do find it" would suggest again some form of reasoning.

David

If they will always select the source with the highest sucrose

If we think that bees got yesterday afternoon high concentration of sucrose, then next morning they will meet night mist diluted nectar. Do they wait for afternoon before they start nectar sucking. Or do they remember that nectar is diluted every mornng? If they remember, why they go out.

How bees know that there is somewhere more higher concentration and when the bee admit that there is no higher sucrore today.

If all bees goes onto highest concentration sucrose flower, how long the flower source will last for 1000 bees? - Is it wise to search the highest sucrose?

If you put honey frame outside and bees get nectar from flowers, no robbers will apear onto comb. They prefer true flowers than honey cup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back