Reactions of varroa thymol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have not used much thymol pads against varroa, but it seems to be very effective in broodless hive.

2 days ago I brough a hive from woods and I put a thymol pad inside the hive.
During 24 hours pad knocked down about 700 mites. Today I looked again the floor. It had not much mites but bees had started to open last brood cells.

That hive was quite big in summer, 6 boxes. It swarmed and it was without brood.
I sprayed with 1% oxalic acid water solution the bees but as you see, it did not work.

Normally 3% oxalic acid water spray has been used, but Estonian researchers recommended 1% solution, because 3% kills larvae. Ok, but 1% did not affected to free mites.
3% water solution works at once. That I have seen.

Last edited:
finman - if the idea of 1% was to preserve brood vs 3% why use it on a broodless hive?

it was midd summer. The hive had swarmed and it had 6 boxes.
I saw lots of mites on swarm bees.

Other stuff spoil the honey.
Trickling is impossible to use.

But now, it is good know that 1% does not work

I sprayed with 1% oxalic acid water solution the bees but as you see, it did not work.

Normally 3% oxalic acid water spray has been used, but Estonian researchers recommended 1% solution, because 3% kills larvae. Ok, but 1% did not affected to free mites.
3% water solution works at once. That I have seen.

Are you really using water rather than sugary syrup?

/// and are you spraying? (like lactic acid) Or 'trickling'?

I'm sure I've seen a research paper somewhere reporting a dramatic increase in Oxalic effectiveness when used in syrup rather than water. (The UK Oxalic orthodoxy.)
Wouldn't that hold true for spraying as well as trickling?

yep - the original italian trickling paper i think.

also of note was that that research related dose per seam to frame size - so italian dadants got more than smaller germanic hives.

I'm sure I've seen a research paper somewhere reporting a dramatic increase in Oxalic effectiveness when used in syrup rather than water. (The UK Oxalic orthodoxy.)
Wouldn't that hold true for spraying as well as trickling?

question is not about that. UK has nothing to do with that. Trickling was invented 1997 by Italian professor Nanetti. Europen Union Varroa Group developed it to modern stage since 1998 to about 2004.
Its OA content was verifyed in different percent like in Scandinavia, Switserland and in Italy.
And the difference tells that percentage it not written into stone. The stuff works well with certain
tolerances.

Then many years after that numerous forum members felt AHAA innovation and stirred clear system. And it continues.....

These things have researched and veryfied so many times that no forum guy need to invent them again.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I didn't get an answer about the spraying.
Was it water (as posted above) or syrup?
If water, why not syrup? (That's what I want to learn!)

Are you suggesting that the Estonian paper advocating 1% was "researched and veryfied so many times"?
/ Aren't you "some forum guy" saying it doesn't work?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back