Re-homing a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graemeb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A friend of mines is a pest controller and has been asked to move a swarm of bees from a house roof. He has offered me them but I work offshore and won't be able to get them until tomorrow. According to him it looks like they've been there a few days as they've already started to build comb. My dilemma is my apiary is only about 2 miles from where the swarm is at the minute. Would it be ok to put them there seeing as it's within 3 miles? Might sound like a stupid question but its the first swarm I'll have managed to get.

A friend of mines is a pest controller and has been asked to move a swarm of bees from a house roof. He has offered me them but I work offshore and won't be able to get them until tomorrow. According to him it looks like they've been there a few days as they've already started to build comb. My dilemma is my apiary is only about 2 miles from where the swarm is at the minute. Would it be ok to put them there seeing as it's within 3 miles? Might sound like a stupid question but its the first swarm I'll have managed to get.

They can start building comb almost immediately. How good is his judgement?

The forage is quite good in the area lots of rosebay willow herb.

I'm not too sure of his judgement it's the first time I've had a call off him with regards to a swarm. It's usually wasps that he deals with. The person whos house it is just mentioned the swarm of bees at the back of their house when he was there dealing with the wasps.

I picked up a swarm on Monday, which had arrived the previous Thursday and had drawn 2 small combs. I have moved it 2 miles away from the site without a problem.

That's great, thanks for the info.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Back