Best way to re-queen "Hot" hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I caught a prime swarm a couple of months ago and they're good productive bees however they've become quite aggressive.
I moved them last week to my out apiary so they wouldn't bother anybody but they're a beggar to work with come inspection time.
I know I need to re-queen but how, I don't want to leave them queenless as it'll make them worse and there's a little trod public footpath around 40m from the apiary so I can't risk them turning into absolute monsters and hurting some rambler.
I have a docile colony on the same site, could I use brood from that and a board with an area of mesh to get them to supercede the present queen a bit like a Demaree set up) before disposing of her or just buy in a mated queen.

Make a nuc up with a mated queen then combine when she is laying
Thanks, so should I use a frame of sealed brood, a frame of stores and a drawn frame with a couple of shakes of nurse bees from my home apiary then take them up to the out apiary and introduce a queen to the nuc. Wait until she's laying then do a newspaper/ glade intro?
Not sure of the process.

Two frames of sealed brood. One frame of stores. Two empty frames, drawn if you can, shake in a couple of frames of bees from open brood to provide nurse bees. I sometimes empty a whole super full. You might as well use the horrid bees. Move the nuc away and introduce your mated queen in her cage between the two frames of brood
Go back a day later to snap the tab off. Look in again a week later.

Newspaper unite when she’s laying.
Kill old queen. Newspaper under a QX over the colony. Move the nuc into a dummied full size hive. Unite in the evening putting the nuc on top of the newspaper.

A really clear and useful set of instructions 👍

Move the hive to bleed off the flying bees /leave a BB and combs on the original position then go throught the moved BB to look for the Q. If she is not marked or hard to find seperate frames into distinctive pairs .
Failing that sieve the bee through a QX as alast resort.

Once she is found and departed the problem hive can be united again straight away and then carry on with the original uniting plan of two seperate colonies.

I would be concerned about being so close to a footpath.
It's rarely used, just the odd rambler now and again and through the trees and undergrowth so very slim chance of anybody getting got. I think I'll put up a couple of signs warning anybody to move on quickly while I'm doing the manipulation just to be doubly safe.
I'll also do it this week coming while the weather is crap, nobody seems to use it unless it's fair weather.

Just for info, as not suitable for the OP situation because of the footpath, but if I can't find the queen.
I move original hive away from their position, put Q+ nuc in place in clean brood box, any supers placed back on with QX & newspaper,
Then take original colony as far away as possible and just blow them out, exactly the same with drone layer etc.
It works and is quick.

Or if I really am pushed for time, exactly as above, but put original box on top of supers with a QX between, 9 times out of ten the queen not wanted will found dead on the excluder in a week.

A cheaper alternative would be to kill the defensive queen and unite the box straight away with newspaper to the docile colony.
I did think of that but as I only have 5 colonies total and the colony on the site was also a swarm I was worried about them going the same way and me ending up with a massive hive full of angry bees.
Ideally I'd like to use a carni queen as that's what I used on my first hive last year and they're lovely to work with.
Unless of course it would be possible to make a nuc at a later date from the combined hives? and bring my numbers back up.

You mean they might not accept the docile queen? I suppose an immediate supersedure is possible, but how likely?
I’ve had that twice
A new queen introduced and replaced as soon as she laid a little.
Once I introduced a queen under a push in cage. The bees killed her and made queen cells on the small area of frame she had laid in while under the cage.

Latest posts

Back