re Cleaning inherited hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-rougham

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just starting out with inherited hives which need cleaning up; no bees in them yet so thorough clean needed before the great day of my 2 nuclei!!
Is Clear Cuprinol Wood Preserver best for the outsides, followed by a water-based shed/fence paint? I know none of previous should touch the inside, but nned to know best for the outside of the hives.
Any help much appreciated!
Chris

To clean mine, I stick them in a solution of bleach and washing soda overnight, then give them a good scrape down. (The soak makes most of the propolis come off or softens it.) Then I dry them off in the sun and blow torch them thoroughly so the wood is scorched. The smell is lovely.

I use Lifetime wood preserver on my wood but it is quite expensive and poo-pooed by others.

Cazza

Depends how pretty you want them to look and how much you want to spend. Osmo contains beeswax and uv protector. Bees seem to like it! Expensive tho!
E

Depends how pretty you want them to look and how much you want to spend. Osmo contains beeswax and uv protector. Bees seem to like it! Expensive tho!
E

I use Osmo UV protection oil on all my cedar equipment as enrico said is expensive at about £22 for 3/4lt but very good. Two coats will last two to three years then just recoat them. If you do decide to use this make sure you get the Osmo UV protection oil 410 as this has no biocides.

Old hive parts can come with disease spores. If your bees develop AFB in a year or two of having them, you will know why. Check out the Bee Base website and other resources relating to the sanitizing of old/used equipment.

Thx for the advice

I'll bear all your comments in mind.
Thanks alot to those who responded.
C

Latest posts

Back