Re-animation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
With the recent cold spell I have noticed a number of bees, through their own exuberant flying, land on their backs (wings). Thereby unable to break the friction bond, bloomin dewy landing boards. The result. Bees who wriggle and wriggle until the cold forces them to stop. There they lie, like dead ants, or bees as it happens.
My missus then comes along under my instructions (I am disabled remember) and sweeps up dead bees to then place under a glass on my table.
Blow my socks off if they don’t all re-animate within minutes In th warmth of my Conservatory. We give a small amount of honey and release.
Now this re-animation is happening to bees that have been dragged out of hive as dead.
Anyone witnessed this?
Oh and the wasps."?.in November!

If they've been kicked out as dead, then I'd probably leave them.
The bees will have a better idea as to why they have been removed than us.
As to "re-animating" there are those on here who'd consider it a waste of time.
I've always done it, doesn't do any harm.
I've considered sticking a piece of sand paper across the entrance board to stop bees getting stuck in this way.

Ive cupped cold bee's in my hands many a time and they've been released minutes later after being warmed up.
I got my four year old to do just this the other day he wasn't worried about holding a honey bee in his hand , a beekeeper in the making I think bless him...

Ive cupped cold bee's in my hands...

I got my four year old to do just this the other day he wasn't worried about holding a honey bee in his hand , a beekeeper in the making I think bless him...

A chilled bee use to sting often into hand when it warms up.

I cannot see why you encourage 4 y old to take a bee to hand.

Bless his little polyester socks.
I have given this further thought and may have a solution. I think the wbc landing board has too shallow a pitch, whereby water does not run from it so easy. There is a material something like sand paper used as a grip on landing nets. I could use this to cover landing board, leaving channels between strips for water run off. Leaving the porch area as is.

Bless his little polyester socks.
I have given this further thought and may have a solution. I think the wbc landing board has too shallow a pitch, whereby water does not run from it so easy. There is a material something like sand paper used as a grip on landing nets. I could use this to cover landing board, leaving channels between strips for water run off. Leaving the porch area as is.

That would work if you were handy with a router 2mm gaps down the landing door step for rain to run through .

Finman why not encourage my boy to do such things he's helped me do numerous things with our bees and hasbeen stung once in two years .he loves the bees .
He's not had any bad reactions at all .
He has a little suit and I'm very aware of making sure he's safe in every way .
Why am I even replying!

Latest posts

Back