Drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The bees have been hunkered down for the last two weeks or so around here with little activity outside the hives. Today has been the first still and clear day in a while, but still cold at 7-8 degrees. However, I noticed the bees were very active (the pic below is from the weakest of my hives) and I noticed a lot of drones getting the boot. I would have thought this would happen earlier in the year. Is it a bit odd to be taking place now? Also, in the pic below, I noticed 7 dead drones on the roof of the hive. How did they get up there? Would the workers fly up with them and drop them from a height? I’ve only ever seen them drag the drones out the front of the hive and hoof them over the edge of the landing board.

16E4A64D-F93E-417C-AB5E-BA995883B11F.jpeg

There may be some drones in the colony all year round even if many got the boot a while back. Perhaps the workers have decided that as the days are getting shorter and the weather a little cooler they don't want quite so many as are still hanging around and have ejected a load more. Or perhaps they've tolerated them all until now if there's been ivy coming in and now it's stopped they don't want the dead weight.

Possibly the ones on top of the hive were alive when they left and were trying to find another way back in but succumbed to cold. Seems odd that they all appear to be on their backs, but that might happen if there's rain, I guess.

James

That's exactly what I was thinking.

James
If they had been carried out by workers and dropped would they all land upside down ? Maybe being turfed out but landed on the roof and got stuck? The girls can be vial things😂

If they had been carried out by workers and dropped would they all land upside down ? Maybe being turfed out but landed on the roof and got stuck?

I don't think they'd necessarily land upside down, but if they were struggling as a result of cold, or it was breezy and they were weak, got hit by a raindrop or were injured after being stung, they might well end up stuck on their backs on the wet roof and lack the energy to right themselves. I'm guessing, but to me it seems to be a plausible explanation even if it does turn out to be wrong :)

James

I don't think they'd necessarily land upside down, but if they were struggling as a result of cold, or it was breezy and they were weak, got hit by a raindrop or were injured after being stung, they might well end up stuck on their backs on the wet roof and lack the energy to right themselves. I'm guessing, but to me it seems to be a plausible explanation even if it does turn out to be wrong :)

James
Anecdotal speaking then

I don't think they'd necessarily land upside down, but if they were struggling as a result of cold, or it was breezy and they were weak, got hit by a raindrop or were injured after being stung, they might well end up stuck on their backs on the wet roof and lack the energy to right themselves
exactly - no big mystery at all - often see bees dead on a hive roof during/after a bit of rain, and they are invariably found legs up

Latest posts

Back