Rat!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi all, bad day yesterday... went to my farm apiary and popped in to an old shed I have there where I store poly nuc boxes and feeders... I was shocked and really angry to find a rat had moved in, chewed through 3 poly nucs with 2 ekes and set up a nest at the bottom... those are wrecked and due for the tip, it had decided to use the topmost swienty feeder as a toilet and I found it full of pee and some poo, it is undamaged. What would people do in terms of this? I was considering due to the infection risk of writing it off or is it salvageable through sterilisation?

Thanks

Personaly i would read up on how they clean kitchens up after a rat has been in them. (lots of bleach i belive)

please read
http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/

the hard part is if it has soaked into things !

done lot of work where rats have been involved, rat poo 2 inches deep real bad

were the thickest rubber gloves you can find, and please please be careful

please read
http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/

the hard part is if it has soaked into things !

done lot of work where rats have been involved, rat poo 2 inches deep real bad

were the thickest rubber gloves you can find, and please please be careful

Personally I would dispose of it all due to the risk of weils disease. Sounds pretty bad the way you described it.

sorry my mistake

your welcome :)

we did get called in to clear a building once and the mess was 2" deep
never seen so many yellow bio hazard bags in ages and cleaning agents were brought in by the drum

1 rat pee in a river ? multiply that by a few thousand
farmers are at high risk, and anyone who carries out water sports, builders thousands of people, you could take delivery of a parcel that during transit had a rat run over it and do something !

if you have out apiary's at fields have you ever thought a rat might have been near them and had a wee? they mark there run's

look out for scratch marks, rats wee on a spot then scratch it, then next one along dose the same, and again and again I have seen rats end up going through 3" thick steel plate like this
if you have rats in a building get it bated as soon as, if not your building get permission to bait first.

the only time i like to see rats is down the sights of a gun barrel

Yeh that was my thinking... not worth it for the sake of a feeder. Just hope I didn't catch anything lugging everything out of the shed! It's gutting losing good equipment.... its amazing how much damage one animal can cause. Clever little thing too, it avoided 6 rat traps and poison that had been laid out. Was all about the polystyrene.

they are worryingly smart.
we have rolled bait blocks in sugar before now, if you use same bait type in an area for to long they sus it and even bread immunity into generations.

had them come through new floor boards in 3 days ! Arghhh
dug up a concrete slab that had cracked only to find one hell of a rat warren, they had undermined the entire slab, rats running over the digger as we were excavating.

spray strong bleach around the edges of the floor and door way break up any scent trail

horrible things rats and not much better mice. can have thousands of bees around me not bothered. See a rat run like f##k .:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back