Rapid crystallisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I took off nine supers five days ago and my wife and I extracted that morning & afternoon. Yield about 130 lbs with water % = 18. I jarred 50 lbs from the settling tank and put the rest in honey buckets. This morning I opened one of the buckets to jar some more and found the honey had crystallised!
The crop is mainly OSR. I'll now wait for the honey to go hard in the buckets and then prepare soft set.

Don’t you just love it !
My allotment apiary is surrounded by fields and every year at least 1 or 2 have OSR, it was that early this year that before I could get the early willow, black thorn, etc off they were on the OSR, ruining everything. At least it’s nearly gone & I can get the supers off next week.
I find it takes a couple of weeks to crystallise when mixed with non OSR honey

Don’t you just love it !
My allotment apiary is surrounded by fields and every year at least 1 or 2 have OSR, it was that early this year that before I could get the early willow, black thorn, etc off they were on the OSR, ruining everything. At least it’s nearly gone & I can get the supers off next week.
I find it takes a couple of weeks to crystallise when mixed with non OSR honey

Next week! It might be solid in the comb by then..

I tried to take 6 supers off at the weekend of OSR and it was not ripe I'm leaving until Friday and then off it comes.

Weather then picks up so hopefully they will start to refill the supers ready for the August harvest.

I actually like OSR honey so in general have no complaints. There is almost always some near my apiary doesn’t I make sure to extract any honey as soon as I lift supers otherwise it invariably sets. Not such a hassle on a small scale.

Latest posts

Back