Raising Bigger Queens. With thanks to the Apiarist

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madasafish

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
This is based on a couple of papers by the Apiarist Parts 1 and 2
https://theapiarist.org/bigger-queens-better-queens-part-1/

I am not going to repeat his words: just outline my success or otherwise, in doing so,

Set up Queen in my home made Nicot cage using 9 and 10 mm internal diameter cell cups made of beeswax (I had left the cage in the hive for 24 hours for bees to clean it. It uses nicot cups as a base only so I can use nicot hardware post egg laying.

I used both 9 and 10 mm id cups to ensure - hopefully - I will achieve something even if 10mm is too large. (Used 10mm dowels as a base for 10mm cup and a slimmed down 10mm for 9mm.. High tech?Not)

Was about to set up starter /finisher but it started pouring .. so tomorrow,

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3

I am not going to repeat his words: just outline my success or otherwise, in doing so,

Set up Queen in my home made Nicot cage using 9 and 10 mm internal diameter cell cups made of beeswax (I had left the cage in the hive for 24 hours for bees to clean it. It uses nicot cups as a base only so I can use nicot hardware post egg laying.

I used both 9 and 10 mm id cups to ensure - hopefully - I will achieve something even if 10mm is too large. (Used 10mm dowels as a base for 10mm cup and a slimmed down 10mm for 9mm.. High tech?Not)

i’ve been following those updates, very interesting! Look forward to seeing how you get on!

Good thing I did not set up the starter/finisher today
Just acquiring two more colonies free from someone giving up - a long story - so plans have changed..

Anyone near me want a few used free National brood boxes in wood. Good condition.

Just acquiring two more colonies free from someone giving up - a long story - so plans have changed..

Anyone near me want a few used free National brood boxes in wood. Good condition.
Shame I'm not near you!

I'm about an hour away, perhaps a bit too far. I'm just starting out and could use these, but if there is someone closer that has need for them, that would be better.

Many thanks @madasafish they'll be put to good use over the weekend. And thank you for the guided tour before the rain got you, I copped it on the return journey too.
You're the epitome of this forum, and I'll stand you lunch at next years Telford Show (y):coffee:

Many thanks @madasafish they'll be put to good use over the weekend. And thank you for the guided tour before the rain got you, I copped it on the return journey too.
You're the epitome of this forum, and I'll stand you lunch at next years Telford Show (y):coffee:
Nice to meet you too.
Glad to see it going to a good home..

PS does the Telford Show do caviar and champagne? :alien:

How do you restrict her to that frame and is a queen inclined to go onto a wooden frame like that to lay in a few cells in the middle of it?

How do you restrict her to that frame and is a queen inclined to go onto a wooden frame like that to lay in a few cells in the middle of it?
I have a plastic QE cut down and bent (using a hot air gun ) to fit. Secured with high tech rubber bands,
As for persuading a Q to lay, I can only ask nicely :cool:

I placed the Q in the cage today: she is laying like mad so fingers crossed,

Last edited:
Will be interesting to hear how you get on. Made up this today with cheap as chips cups & cages from Amazooon. Luckily they’re 9mm diameter.
Planning to put them in my nice strong colony using the Ben Hardin method so spent this afternoon making fat dummies as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7174.jpeg
    IMG_7174.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Will be interesting to hear how you get on. Made up this today with cheap as chips cups & cages from Amazooon. Luckily they’re 9mm diameter.
Planning to put them in my nice strong colony using the Ben Hardin method so spent this afternoon making fat dummies as well.
Bought one of those couple of years back, used it once and straight to the bin! Parts didn't fit properly and I couldn't get the cell holders off the base without yanking and risking to damage Qcells.
I used both 9 and 10 mm id cups to ensure - hopefully
I guess you prefer to make the wax cells but the brown nicot cells are exactly 9mm diameter. Would be worth comparing results between your wax cells and the nicot ones.
Let us know how you get on with it.

Bought one of those couple of years back, used it once and straight to the bin! Parts didn't fit properly and I couldn't get the cell holders off the base without yanking and risking to damage Qcells.

I guess you prefer to make the wax cells but the brown nicot cells are exactly 9mm diameter. Would be worth comparing results between your wax cells and the nicot ones.
They seem to fit ok, not hard to get off. We shall see….

In

I was quoting Internal Diameters,

Try 2 was a failure. Only one egg laid..
Oh well.. it cost nothing..
Time to start real queen rearing when the next week of horrible weather ends.

two and a half days

i’ve been following those updates, very interesting! Look forward to seeing how you get on!
I have reared 20 years queen in swarming cells. I change the larvae from good hives. They are really good queens.

The rearer colony accepts 100% larvae into their cups.

Then I take the frame with the queen cell and put into a nut. I move the nucs into a forest 2 kilometres away. All workers will stay at their new home.

Nuc bees are their rearers, and no problems with acceptance.

Latest posts

Back