Quickest way to crystallise soft set.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I've jarred some soft set last night and I normally wait a few days for it to start to stiffen. I don't think it's going to start firming up any time soon due to the continuing high temperatures.
How do you lot encourage set honey to set quicker?

I've jarred some soft set last night and I normally wait a few days for it to start to stiffen. I don't think it's going to start firming up any time soon due to the continuing high temperatures.
Keep it cool?

Beer fridge in the garage? Put it on warmest settings and load up.

It's dropping to 14c at night at the moment so if you can leave it in an out building/shed over night that should be enough to start it going.. It took a week or two to go but has worked fine for mine.. 👍

I always start it off in a 30lb bucket and only bottle it when it's at the gloopy stage where if it was left any longer it wouldn't pour. It's then easier to handle - the bucket goes into the warming cabinet (with the thermostat cranked right down, I just want a temperature indicator) and I find a camping ice pack or two keeps the temperature around 13°C - which I've also found seems to be the best temp for setting

Beer fridge in the garage? Put it on warmest settings and load up.
I've never owned a beer fridge and wouldn't want a chilled beer at 14dec C 🤣

Maybe I can swing buying a beer fridge on SWMBO by saying it's for setting honey?

I have the same problem as you, Newbeeneil. Last year I managed to cram what few jars I had into a large cool bag with ice-packs. Maybe I should take up beer drinking! ;) I wonder if Lidl sell the fridges from time to time?

I have the same problem as you, Newbeeneil. Last year I managed to cram what few jars I had into a large cool bag with ice-packs. Maybe I should take up beer drinking! ;) I wonder if Lidl sell the fridges from time to time?
I bought a wine cooler a while ago at a garage sale and that would let me set the temperature at 14 degrees. It was great while it worked but was a real pain to dispose of as all the local recycling centres I tried refused to accept it (It's not a 'fridge sir, so we can't take it). I had to get a permit from someone at the local council before it was accepted and even then the recycling centre were grumpy about the prospect.

Why the hurry?
The viscosity of soft set is shirley quite a wide spectrum. I jar it from a tank and sell it straight away. The early purchasers will find it soft-soft set; those who purchase it later will find it soft-firmer set. Nobody has complained so far....

I always start it off in a 30lb bucket and only bottle it when it's at the gloopy stage where if it was left any longer it wouldn't pour. It's then easier to handle - the bucket goes into the warming cabinet (with the thermostat cranked right down, I just want a temperature indicator) and I find a camping ice pack or two keeps the temperature around 13°C - which I've also found seems to be the best temp for setting
I took your suggestion JBM and now have my warming cabinet down to 14.4C but it's taken me all day and three changes of cool blocks. Fingers crossed i can keep it there now the ambient temperature is lower.

Why the hurry?
The viscosity of soft set is shirley quite a wide spectrum. I jar it from a tank and sell it straight away. The early purchasers will find it soft-soft set; those who purchase it later will find it soft-firmer set. Nobody has complained so far....
Why the hurry? I've got customers knocking on my door, ringing me up and emailing me asking when the set honey will be on sale? I've not set any yet due to the lack of OSR in the area and general lack of spring honey supply.

Why the hurry? I've got customers knocking on my door, ringing me up and emailing me asking when the set honey will be on sale? I've not set any yet due to the lack of OSR in the area and general lack of spring honey supply.

Ah, we may be at cross purposes. My soft set is made from crystallised honey in 30lb buckets, warmed to 35c for 48 hours, stirred a few times, transferred to a settling tank and jarred spright away. Same process whether spring honey (OSR) or summer crop.

Do you mind me asking how you advertise locally? At the gate, by word of mouth or social media?

Do you mind me asking how you advertise locally? At the gate, by word of mouth or social media?
I have a WBC hive with "honey for sale"outside my house but I seem to get a lot of mentions on FB from my customers. Most of my customers are repeat.

I either put in my room with Aircon set to the lowest, 18c or, the wine fridge set to 14c.

I've never owned a beer fridge and wouldn't want a chilled beer at 14dec C 🤣

Maybe I can swing buying a beer fridge on SWMBO by saying it's for setting honey?

A lot of red wine is reckoned to be best at 17c, Wine fridges are designed to go up and past that temp.

Not sure I've ever seen a fridge being sold in either lidl or aldi. Try on Gumtree or preloved for a second hand one or a charity shop?

Make sure if you're going 2nd hand you dont buy off a fisherman :ROFLMAO: you never know what he or she has kept in them :sick:

Not sure I've ever seen a fridge being sold in either lidl or aldi. Try on Gumtree or preloved for a second hand one or a charity shop?

Make sure if you're going 2nd hand you dont buy off a fisherman :ROFLMAO: you never know what he or she has kept in them :sick:
:laughing-smiley-004 Thank you, Hachi. I don't think I'd want a fridge from a fisherman, whatever I wanted to put in it! It's a bit late for this year, as I'm in the process now, but I do like car boots, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back