Question on drying out wet combe with granulated honey in them.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andytat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just extracted six frames with about 20% granulated rape honey stuck in them, caused miss-judging when to take the rape crop off.

Can they be returned to a hive for licking out? Or is their a danger of causing granulation of winter stores in the brood chamber?

Or should I just scrap them and melt them down for wax?

Wash with warm water under the tap so that water goes into ALL cells, then turn frame upside down and shake water out. Then give frames back to the bees and they will the quickly clean them up ready for storing over the winter. 2 to 3 days but check.

I have just extracted six frames with about 20% granulated rape honey stuck in them, caused miss-judging when to take the rape crop off.

Can they be returned to a hive for licking out? Or is their a danger of causing granulation of winter stores in the brood chamber?

Or should I just scrap them and melt them down for wax?

spray them with water from a mist spray until drenched even in clean cells and return to the hive, your bees need water to move it, and better to give it to them rather than make them fetch it

will it effect winter stores, well very little, ivy honey they collect in september sets anyway

Thank you

I knew their would be a simple answer - thank you both for your answers.

Andy

spray them with water from a mist spray until drenched even in clean cells and return to the hive, your bees need water to move it, and better to give it to them rather than make them fetch it

that is splended answer. bees use the honey in brood rearing.

to wash honey from extracted combs..... strange idea...

honey contented of extracted frames is something 20% out of original honey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back