Queens flying back to the hive and bringing back additional bees to the colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Beekeeping gets weirder and weirder. I was just looking into how to get advance notice of the queen having been mated. An unusual clue is given, admittedly on a You Tube video from a US channel, which I know that some people find to be a despicable source. It suggested that even though you don't have a laying queen, the number of bees in the box can increase significantly; presumably drawn in from other colonies. The number of bees in my split and then swarmed colony is surprisingly high.

Is this apocryphal or has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Beekeeping gets weirder and weirder. I was just looking into how to get advance notice of the queen having been mated. An unusual clue is given, admittedly on a You Tube video from a US channel, which I know that some people find to be a despicable source. It suggested that even though you don't have a laying queen, the number of bees in the box can increase significantly; presumably drawn in from other colonies. The number of bees in my split and then swarmed colony is surprisingly high.

Is this apocryphal or has anyone experienced this phenomenon?
Sounds like you've proven our point on yootoob 'experts' he's obviously stoked up to the gills with some recreational drug or another.

All I can add....... my hives used to be in a straight line. The most downwind colony was always the strongest
As for queens bringing back more bees who the devil worked that one out?
Who was it who said one frame of brood is four seams of bees? And they are emerging all the time. That’s why beginners are fooled into thinking their colony can’t have swarmed as it’s busier than ever.

Who was it who said one frame of brood is four seams of bees? And they are emerging all the time. That’s why beginners are fooled into thinking their colony can’t have swarmed as it’s busier than ever.

......I understand that; but once the bees are past the point of no return for their brood, 21+ days after queen removal and with no laying replacement, the population should be dwindling. In my case it probably is, but it doesn't look lke it is and if Mr. Utoob was being honest and wasn't under the influence, in the same situation, his bees were increasing in number.

With no axe to grind on this and zero evidence in support, I'll put the thought on the back burner.

......I understand that; but once the bees are past the point of no return for their brood, 21+ days after queen removal and with no laying replacement, the population should be dwindling. In my case it probably is, but it doesn't look lke it is and if Mr. Utoob was being honest and wasn't under the influence, in the same situation, his bees were increasing in number.

With no axe to grind on this and zero evidence in support, I'll put the thought on the back burner.

Do bees not looking after brood live longer than those that do?

I thought I had the same...then I found out I had laying workers 😞

Latest posts

Back