Queen rearing video??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who are you calling stupid??

:rofl:

M

Tractor Man thinks everyone is .... now lets think about this.:nono:

Double brood on my older WBC hive 16 17/32 x 17 53/64 inch 10 frame brood boxes would be about equal to a 14 x 12 National deep brood

I use a strong double brood, with a super on top, that had had the colonies queen free to lay in all three boxed.
When queen cell rearing , trap the queen in the bottom box with a qe, and put your queen cells in the super, no need then for a finisher,
My preference is to incubate the queen cells once well and truly sealed... and get into mating nucs asap after peeping!

BIBBA has an excellent date / chart for queen rearing online

as in all things beekeepering there is no one right or wrong way, but keeping things simples is always a good strategy!

GOOD LUCK

I use

Mellifera397, who you were advising (as in 'you' in your post), already has at least ten per cent more capacity per box than those tiddly WBC broods.

A good strong box, Q-, is good enough to get some good sized cells, I would think. May need the potential number of cells reducing, or they may build dozens of smaller emergency cells. Sooo, it may need a bit of refining, but the basic method was there.

If I had a strong double brood and didn't want very many cells, I would stick to a demaree with maybe two shallows between the brood boxes. Again, KISS principle in operation and no need to mutilate brood frames.

I do believe that he states that the method demonstrated allows people with less than perfect vision to raise queens, no grafting involved !

Seems to me that this is just a varient of cell punching, bit more aggressive but none the less effective.

Well done, the fat beeman.

From Dave Cushman's site I gather that the technique is called the Allen method.

M

:banghead:
Well done, the fat beeman?

'itma' has posted the following here:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23003

>>>"As a beginner, try to avoid random redneck opinion!
After you have some understanding of what is (more or less) "standard practice" (and importantly why it is) - ONLY then and not before - should you be thinking of starting to look for other methods and the ideas behind them.
There are lots of YouTube videos proudly demonstrating the lack of skill and understanding of the demonstrator. That's a bad choice of a place to start.
It is *not* that there is 'one true way'. There isn't. And because of that, its very hard for the novice to tell whether what they are being shown is orthodox, novel, obsolete, weird or just plain daft.
Read a couple of recommended books by different authors. Recognise their differences and work out the reasons they do it their way.
>>>There is a better filter on print publication than internet self-promotion!"

Regards
Reiner

Well done, the fat beeman?

Easy and cheap !!

.... Classic is the chicken plucking machine with paddles on an electric drill.... wonder it did not take the guys fingers off!
From The Fatbeeman's ( RED) neck of the woods on YouTube!!

Latest posts

Back