Queen rearing in Brittany

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love that video...Thanks for breaking the procedure down for everyone to understand..

Hi Richard, great vid!
I’m curious about tor floors. Also seen then in other vids or pics of yours. They look like a kind of rigid grill? Not mesh but also not ‘solid’ floor. What am I seeing? Or am I just seeing things!?
B

Hi Richard, great vid!
I’m curious about tor floors. Also seen then in other vids or pics of yours. They look like a kind of rigid grill? Not mesh but also not ‘solid’ floor. What am I seeing? Or am I just seeing things!?
B

Thorne have adapted the French floor to fit the national hive, called an MP floor. It's in the catalogue but not on the website.

At 5.24 on the original video Richard says ' I will have to check the bottom brood box again in 5 days' He has just removed queen cells from this box so will be checking he doesn't get any more queen cells. I presume he checks after 5 days rather than the usual 7 days in case bees decide to rear more queen cells using young larvae? If the bees use a 2 day old larvae then it could be capped in 3 days so wouldn't it be better to re-check them in 3 days?
Also if at the start there wasn't any queen cells in the bottom brood box would you recheck in 7 days or keep your fingers cross and just leave it for the 10 days till grating time?
Thanks

Back