Queen rearing course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Good evening all, I have decided to do more with my beekeeping next year and would like to start by doing a queen rearing course. Can someone recommend a good course, is the BIBBA course any good?

Good evening all, I have decided to do more with my beekeeping next year and would like to start by doing a queen rearing course. Can someone recommend a good course, is the BIBBA course any good?

Yes... but read well before attending as Roger is not greatly amused by attendees who do not know that drones are boy bees (Sorry B+.. but he did get asked that very question!!):icon_204-2::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Yeghes da

Roger is not greatly amused by attendees who do not know that drones are boy bees (Sorry B+.. but he did get asked that very question!!)

I don't know why you're drawing me into this.
If that's the level of knowledge people attending this course have, I'd think they should have done a beginners course first. It doesn't bode well as the instructor will inevitably have to spend time addressing questions at the lowest level.

IMHO, A good tutor would have weeded out the people who shouldn’t be wasting not only the tutors time but there own.
S

Aye but most aren't good tutors. Cash the cheque and worry about who turns up later.
RP has some quite extreme erroneous views on beekeeping and shouldn't be let near any trainees in case it rubs off. Alas, I fear it is too late for many.

Aye but most aren't good tutors. Cash the cheque and worry about who turns up later.
RP has some quite extreme erroneous views on beekeeping and shouldn't be let near any trainees in case it rubs off. Alas, I fear it is too late for many.

Agree wholeheartedly
The dog’s sweet though

I've been o couple of courses over the last few years: Ged Marshall in Buckinghamshire http://britishhoneyproducersltd.com and Clive de Bruyn's. Both good

If that's the level of knowledge people attending this course have, I'd think they should have done a beginners course first. It doesn't bode well as the instructor will inevitably have to spend time addressing questions at the lowest level.

Quite my point!!!

A Master class from another beekeeper local to you who is already rearing queens is also a possibility as you will get 1;1 hands on experience..... but a specific queen rearing course .. such as the ones run by BIBBA will give you a broad outline of ( most of) all the methods availiable.

Ask around your association

I guess I now have a few months to watch and re watch, read and re read. I have watched the video a couple of times B+.... To the despair of my better half!! ��

jeff all the videos in the world are great but if you really are serious or find the subject of sufficient interest then i would suggest the 2 beeks courses previously mentioned, both are top notch and you cant beat the hands on. You can then take the best of practical experience and any online info and combine. I was grafting larvae aged 13/14 with a great couple who lived locally under there guidance and then just went home and repeated the procedure on my own hives..

Latest posts

Back