queen marking paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some but never tried it because it took too long to dry.

yes, i use to use humbrol and a matchstick, now i use the paint pens

I find the posca pen markers wear off and was hoping the Humbot paint would last longer. Sweinty marking paint is very good but 7.99 euro a pot. Testor enamel paint is used in the U.S.A. but unavailable here.

I used Humbrol paint (made in Yorkshire I think) for decades applied with the square end of a matchstick and it is fine if mixed properly before use and doesn't wear off like the mark from the Posca pens. Now just use the pens as a lot quicker to use but have to be careful not to press too hard as the queen ends up with a dinted thorax!

Attachments

• dinted marked queen.jpg
    dinted marked queen.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Water based eco tipex. Comes with a handy sponge on the stick thing.
I only ever mark in white and write the year of the queen on the hive.
E

Car touch-up paint works fine and dries quick as well, Posca Red just kept wearing off last season so I tried it, and works fine. You can buy some that have a fine tube and a brush to apply the paint.

Car touch-up paint works fine and dries quick as well, Posca Red just kept wearing off last season so I tried it, and works fine. You can buy some that have a fine tube and a brush to apply the paint.

And they come in some funky colours should you wish to "pimp" your queens.
"Candy Apple red" ready to re mark all the ones that I'd done with posca pens because you just know they wont still be marked come spring.
Posca's red pen was especially poor last year. I ended up buying a 2nd pen from another source as i figured i must have bought a dud( didnt help).

I used Humbrol paint (made in Yorkshire I think) for decades applied with the square end of a matchstick and it is fine if mixed properly before use and doesn't wear off like the mark from the Posca pens. Now just use the pens as a lot quicker to use but have to be careful not to press too hard as the queen ends up with a dinted thorax!

holy crap!

reminds me of the Joey Q Tip episode of Friends... 'you're supposed to stop pushing when you meet resistance!'

Latest posts

Back