Queen marked on abdomen in error

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today I was helping my protégé newbee with weekly inspection when we spotted the jet-black queen. We had seen her a fortnight ago but while we fumbled for the marker pen she flew off - but happily had returned by the next inspection a week ago. This time we had the press-in cage to hand and positioned her nicely. Unfortunately the nail varnish was first applied to her abdomen (history does not relate the identity of the operator) before applying it to her thorax.
Question: I believe the respiratory spiracles are found on the abdo and I wonder if our application will be harmful? I hope not because she heads a splendid colony with 2 boxes of sealed honey.

Marking is a skill only improved by practise!

Don't worry too much only if you paint her head!

I have one that is an albino thanks to tipex running freely! She lived through winter and is working well......can't miss her anyway!
E

We had seen her a fortnight ago , . . . ... ... ... ... ... . Unfortunately the nail varnish was first applied to her abdomen .

NAIL VARNISH!!!

Probably a bit harsh, let's hope she can still bend to lay?

at least you'll know she's there.

I would be surprised if she is still there next inspection as I would expect he colony to now reject her. Be ready to see queen cells on next inspection.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I believe the respiratory spiracles are found on the abdo

The spiracles are on the sides of the thorax which is why you have to be careful not to lather on too much paint.

Better than painting over her eyes. Yeah, it is always an idea to have a cage on hand if you are marking a queen unless you want her to fly off.

Hi, I’m a bit cack-handed with the marker pen so have some fairly well decorated queens and none of them seem any the worse for it, don’t worry too much mine have always been okay. Cheers Roger B.

Nail varnish! For heavens sake please get a marker pen approved for bees.

The press on cages are a bit severe in inexperienced hands as other bees can be damaged which isn't good.
The cage with foam plunger much better as you have time to relax, position the queen correctly, mark properly, then allow the ink to dry before gently returning her to the frame.

Hi, I’m a bit cack-handed with the marker pen so have some fairly well decorated queens and none of them seem any the worse for it, don’t worry too much mine have always been okay. Cheers Roger B.

I clip and mark my queens each spring and have had two rejected this year. I don't know why as they were treated in exactly same manner as 10 others with no problem !
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back